Barbeque

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AAASTINKIE

Reaction score
Ever since country wine posted this, barbeque has been on my mind:

Barbeque is only made with pork shoulder or beef brisket. I smoke a whole pork shoulder about once a month in my Cookshack smoker oven. I have my own rub I use with specific spices. The pork normally cooks about 18 hours to 190*F, then I wrap it in double aluminum foil, then towels, then it goes into a cooler for a few hours, then the wife and kids and I all gang up on it and pull it. (shred with fingers) Sometimes we use sauce, but it does not need it. Sometimes we have coleslaw with it. All the time we put it on cheap buns.

So now ya know.

I have a small sears, coho, smoker I got out of the junk yard at home, it has a electric burner in the bottom, I need to make a chip pan for it, I think it will be one of my projects for my 3 days off. I will have to go to homedepot and get some woodchips.

Here's what country had to say about rubs:

brown sugar, salt, paprika, black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder,ground mustard, cayenne if you want, red pepper flakes if you want, cumin, cloves, coriander, etc......

The first 7 ingredients are, in my opinion, mandatory. The amounts are kinda important too. Also, I like to use olive oil or canola oil or any kind of mustard spread on the meat first.

Any other BBQ questions?

cayenne, my favorite flavoring, maybe a little maple syrup for the secret touch...

I was reading this about barbeque and made me wicked hungry:

Barbecuing is cooking a hunk of meat, the cheaper the better, with smoke (NO direct heat) slowly over a long period of time. The idea is to give the connective tissues time to melt down into gelatin and give the meat that tenderness so prized by diners.
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 align=right>
<T>
<TR>
<TD></TD></TR></T></TABLE>

If you want to have a little fun, go to a barbecue cookoff and ask a few of the cooks for their dry rub recipes. Of course here I'm defining "fun" as "having heavy or sharp objects hurled directly at your head in a manner intended to injure you severely."

Almost as closely guarded as dry rub recipes and often containing far more exotic ingredients, barbecue sauces are as varied as the folks who make them. And to some 'cue aficionados, they're even more important than the meat to which they're applied.

OK so you aren't going to give up your recipes, that's OK just help me to cook the meat..lol

I'm home!! Barbeque!! Here's my Coho Smoker...

2005-04-20_152002_strait_smoker_002.jpg

It has a 250 watt element in the bottom, the pan is missing, I need to make a new one.

2005-04-20_152151_strait_smoker_001.jpg

Well, what do you think, can I make Barbeque with this??

Yep. It is made alot like a Cookshack, except a Cookshack is constructed of stainless and is insulated to hold 1000*F. You need a woodbox to hold dried wood chunks, not chips. Chips will burn up too quickly. The woodbox should surround and contain the heating element while seperating it from the wood with another flat of metal with holes drilled in it. The part of the woodbox containing the wood chunks should also have holes around the sides to let smoke out. The smoker/cooker should have an intake hole in the bottom and an exhaust hole in the top that are of equal size, maybe 1/4-1/2 inch diameter. You need a thermostat to turn the element on and off and try to maintain 200-250*F. You need a digital temperature probe also with a wire to either go in through the top hole or shut the door on it. This way the door is never opened until the meat reaches 195-205*F, however you prefer. I like 195 if the pork or beef is abnormally lean and 205 if it is abnormally fat. In a Cookshack, 2-4 ounces of wood is sufficient for a long cook. The meat will absorb all the smoke it is going to absorb before the internal temperature of the meat hits 95*F. Maple syrup applied to the meat before a rub is applied is probably very good. The problem with sugars is burning, and the bitter tastes associated with it. Use just enough, omit the brown sugar, and it will be good.

Any other questions, Grasshoppers?

If you really want to learn, go to that forum link I showed you and sign up. They are a real good bunch of folks and most know way more than me.

smiley33.gif

Barbeque is on!!! just a few problems though, I ran it this morning and
only got up to 150*F so I'm thinking after smoking all night maybe
finish in the oven to get up to temp.

2005-04-21_114517_resizesmoker_meat_001.jpg

Mesquite was the only wood chips available here, I bought a chip pan at homedepot also.

2005-04-21_114957_resize_smoker_meat_002.jpg

The meat was way too big to fit the rack, on the other site they said
not to cut it, to fold over instead, so here it is standing on it's
head!

"we ain't building no piano here!"

Meat is 10lbs. Brisket

Used my own RUB, secret recipe, kosher salt, black pepper, garlic powder, hugarian paprika, cayenne pepper.

I forgot the brown sugar...

Any suggestions welcome.

I smelled something burning and my wood chips were on fire....I put
them in a foil bag soaked them in water again and put them back in the
pan...outside this time, they were in the open entryway before. Holes
in the foil to let smoke out and up off the pan to cut the heat a
little.

You gotta figure out how to get that smoker up to 225 and keep it there for at least 18 hours for a brisket, sometimes 24, unless it is a small one. You could just sell that one at a yard sale and buy a Cookshack! Let us know how the brisket is. I would leave it in without opening the door for at least 24 hours if it only gets to 150, then stick it in the oven on 250 to finish. Use a probe.

smiley34.gif

Two hours into this adventure, I have 110 degrees coming out the top

2005-04-21_141123_smoker_meat_004.jpg

The bottom of the door leaks so I put wedges in to slow down air infiltration.

2005-04-21_141314_cooking_smoker_meat_003.jpg

It's in the back entryway to help it warm up.

2005-04-21_141436_smoker_meat_005.jpg

That looks like about 111 degrees. That contraption might be good for smoking fish, nothing else.

If this Q don't kill me I'll be seeing a Cookshack smoker in my future.

2005-04-21_203722_skoked_brisket_002.jpg

I had it in the smoker for 8 hours, now it's in the oven at 210 till
6am that's 7 more hours (I might increase the temp to 225 before going
to bed)

I increased the oven temp to 225 before going to bed, the brisket was
170 degrees this morning, I had to pull it and put it in the
refridgerator, I have to go to work (OT) and start saving up for my new
Cookshack Smoker!! The beef is delish!! nice smokey flavor, maybe a
little tough from not making it to 190, 170 is well done beef.

2005-04-22_021530_skoked_brisket.jpg

Barbeque and Wine...the puzzel is coming together!!

OMG!!!!!!!!!! Where do you live???? Hummmm.....you cook too
!?! We need to clone you. That looks amazing and really low
fat and low cal:) Your wife must have a perpetual smile on her
face...You da man AAA. LJC

UUmmm, that's not low fat it's all fat..lol..grease city, but good eating, must be why country only makes it once a month.

My wife is leaving me soon, so good cooking doesn't cut it for some people!

Country can eat all he wants of that, just no bread with it!

I told my wife a long time ago, "When you leave me, I am packing up and going with you!"

smiley36.gif

I'll probably order a Cookshack smoker this week, I have withdrawel symptoms from thinking about how good barbeque could be!!

Thermometers, remote reading, I bought a Oregon sientific model AW129
remote thermometer only to find it is lacking as a smoker thermometer,
it only reads up to 199 degrees, I also thought it would continuosly
alarm over the highest temp setting of 180 for turkey, but just did a
test and it stops beeping if you push the cook button. But that's OK it
will be my backup thermometer anyway I ordered a Maverick ET-73 last
night. Now if I could just order the Cookshack!! My beer should be
ready to go with my barbeque just in time.
Edited by: AAASTINKIE

Latest posts

Back