My version of the enolmatic

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocket man

Reaction score
I wanted to have an automatic bottle filler but I didn't want to shell out $375.00 for one. So I decided to make my own. Since I already had a vacuum pump all I needed was the nozzle. I got the nozzle, lever and spring for around $75.00. Making the stand to hold it took a little creativity and time, but it was worth it. You can adjust the height for different sized bottles. It works just as good as the original enolmatic (from what I've seen of the videos of it) for a fraction of the price. It sure saves alot of time compared to the Ferrari Automatic Bottle Filler that I used to use.

wine 003.jpg

That is great! I am glad there are smart people like you so I can copy..:r:r hehehe I hope you don't mind.. Maybe you should go into the business of making them.. Very nice job!

That is great! I am glad there are smart people like you so I can copy..:r:r hehehe I hope you don't mind.. Maybe you should go into the business of making them.. Very nice job!

Copy away Brian. If you need any help with any of the specifics let me know. I pretty much made it up out of scrap pieces that I had available to me.

What did you use for the shutoff valve? Is it a manual shutoff?

The nozzle has a built in shutoff sort of. It will only fill to a certain level then it sucks any foam or remaining liquid into the overflow. It is adjustable. Check out the video of it.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8algqVQhWY"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8algqVQhWY[/ame]

Very nice job!!!!!!! How does this work as far as using different bottles like most of us do? I try and use as many as possible in the same style but since I use what I have I usually end up with 5-6 different bottles of the same style, but many are a little taller or shorter then one another, some have punts some dont, you know.

Wade the horizontal arm is suppose to be level when filling in an ideal situation. It is very forgiving within 1-2" difference in bottles. I also have many different bottles and very rarely adjust it.

Last edited:
Copy away Brian. If you need any help with any of the specifics let me know. I pretty much made it up out of scrap pieces that I had available to me.

Thanks Man! Can you give a build list and where you picked them up. Like the nozzel etc?? Thanks again this thing look awesome and I agree the woodwork looks great!

Very nice job!!!!!!! How does this work as far as using different bottles like most of us do? I try and use as many as possible in the same style but since I use what I have I usually end up with 5-6 different bottles of the same style, but many are a little taller or shorter then one another, some have punts some dont, you know.

The arm is forgiving somewhat but I fill anything from 375 ml. to 1.5 Liter bottles so I have 4 different height adjustment on it. If you look closely you can see 2 holes on the back chrome part. There are 2 more under those. The black knob has a pin that goes through the hole and a spring to keep it in place. The chrome tubing is a table leg from a school desk. The spring part is made to slide on unistrut for a lock on a handicapped lift for a school bus. (I'm starting to see a theme here :h) The part on top that holds the lever is another part made out of wood. I'll get a better picture of the spring part later today. I'll get one of what it looks like before it's surrounded by wood. Thanks for all the compliments.

base.jpg

back.jpg

top.jpg

Sometime you run across a beautiful thing, this is it. I have thought about a bottle filler but I just don't understand the workings. Like if the vac continues when the bottle is full, what happens? Also, is there a sump or similar container holding the wine? My questions should show how little I know. I still use the spring tip bottle filler. But, whether I understand how it works or not, it is a beautiful thing to behold. The compliments are earned. :b

Last edited:
Up until right now I have been using the Boun Vino Auto filler which is $35. Richard, it shuts off when the pressure in the bottle pushes the stopper up this shutting off the flow but like almost every bottiling pump it will throw a little overage into your overflow bottle which at the end with what im using and a little experience bottling with it I end up with about 1/4 of a bottle after bottling 6 gallons this way. I dont shut my pump off during this at all. I really ike this set up and will also copy from you if you dont mind. Im a woodworker so will design my own base although yours is awesome and I love it but dont want to exactly copy from you as Im sure you are getting a Patent Pending on this as we speak!!!!!!! You are arent you??????????????? Could you possibl give lo=inks to the parts here please.

I know what someone has to send out for christmas.. better get building! LOL
Nice project!

Okay, thanks. Still would like the complete list though as its hard to figure out whats included in that list.

Last edited:
Wow, this is a bigger hit than I thought it would be. Here is a schematic of the machine, and a close up of the part that locks the sliding chrome piece at the right height. The parts I bought are on this page. http://www.stpats.com/PartsTenco.htm Here is a better schematic of the head.http://www.stpats.com/manuals/enolmaticSchematic.pdf
It's "#1020 Complete Nozzle with Levers and Spring". Of course I look now and it's out of stock. The part from Presque Isle cost a little more and doesn't come with the spring and lever which is a pretty important part, although you could make something for the levers but it would just be that much more work.

JohnT, right now I just have the unit clamped with a couple of spring clamps. I had plans of making a clamp out of metal similar to the one on the enolmatic but just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Lurker, The pump stays running the whole time and the overflow from the bottle goes to the overflow bottle on the pump.

spring.jpg

schematic.jpg

There seems to be a lot of splashing with the filler. Won't this allow to much air into the wine? Or am I being to anal about very gentle bottle filling.
Scott

Everybody always seems to worry about this. These units operate using a vacuum. A vacuum is a lack of air - hence you aren't introducing air into it. If anything you remove gas already in the wine.

Back