Adding Chocolate to finished wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidB

Reaction score
Tonight as I was enjoying a glass of my scupperdine wine with a bit of dark chocolate on the side, it occurred to me that the two of them go really good together. Got me to wondering if you can add chocolate to wine after it has finished. I think the answer is yes. But before I run to the store for some dark chocolate, I figured I'd better ask first. This wine is less than a month old since it finished and it has a lot of aging to do. I have added my sorbate / k-meta and it's really clear right now. Dang good by itself but I think I would like to go with the addition of chocolate if I can.

What about it? Am I about to mess up or is this a go for it?

I've got a 6 gallon carboy full to the brim. If it is okay to add, how much would you suggest to ensure the flavors come over to the wine.

I think thats kind of what Runningwolf did recently with a dessert wine.

Dave I kept my wine in the secondary fermentation for about 28 days. This is the time I added dark chocolate. You want a semi sweet very high in cocoa and low in butter fat. I stir it a couple times a week. Do this carefully to avoid a volcano. The first time I did this I added 1/2 pound to 1 gallon. I felt this was too strong even though it was very good. This year I am using 1 pound per 3 gallons. The chocolate defiantly had an upfront taste. This my change over time if it ever gets a chance to age. Between competitions and tastings one gallon doesn't last long (and Julie in the cellar). The goal should be to have the grape taste upfront followed by the chocolate. I am currently using this technique on some cherry and another desert wine. Incidently, I had a winery call me Saturday night to tell me I needed to enter this in the Winemakers Competition in the Spring.

There is nothing wrong with me being in your cellar Dan, remember you invited me. I'm not having a problem being there. :) I got chocolate from a place that Dan told me about, chocosphere.com. Go for the chocolate that has 71% cocoa or more.

don't melt it, just add it as pieces. The chocolate that I got came like a small coin, quarter size, I guess.

Dave I kept my wine in the secondary fermentation for about 28 days. This is the time I added dark chocolate. You want a semi sweet very high in cocoa and low in butter fat. I stir it a couple times a week. Do this carefully to avoid a volcano. The first time I did this I added 1/2 pound to 1 gallon. I felt this was too strong even though it was very good. This year I am using 1 pound per 3 gallons. The chocolate defiantly had an upfront taste. This my change over time if it ever gets a chance to age. Between competitions and tastings one gallon doesn't last long (and Julie in the cellar). The goal should be to have the grape taste upfront followed by the chocolate. I am currently using this technique on some cherry and another desert wine. Incidently, I had a winery call me Saturday night to tell me I needed to enter this in the Winemakers Competition in the Spring.

Great information! Thanks. Can you suggest any particular brands of dark chocolate. I don't want to recreate the wheel. If you already found one that is high in cocoa and low in butter, it would be neat to have this information. Thanks again.

David, thanks to Runningwolf I have been bitten by the choc. bug. I have chocolate extract to ad to a choke cherry wine. Haven't started it just yet but that is another avenue to think of. Bottles were @$5.00 a small bottle.

Great information! Thanks. Can you suggest any particular brands of dark chocolate. I don't want to recreate the wheel. If you already found one that is high in cocoa and low in butter, it would be neat to have this information. Thanks again.

David Julie already posted a link and type in post #4. If you have a high candy maker specializing in chocolate ask them if they have a dark bitter sweet chocolate high in cocoa. The chocolate i used last year only had 55% cocoa. You may have to buy it in block form and chip it up to fit in the carboy.

Runningwolf you said that you added it 28 days after you put it into the secondary, Then added the chocolate. Did you take a SG at that time? If so how much would adding the chocolate change it, if any?

I want to do a Candy apple wine with caramel and chocolate. I have a batch of apple but it's completely done working and bulk aging. Would you start a new batch to do this or use the batch that's done?

Thanks
TJ

I add the chocolate at the beginning of the 28 day secondary process and leave it in the entire time. Ensure your wine is topped at at the proper time as your wine will finish part way through this process.

I am not familiar with the choc/candy apple. All I can tell you is to experiment on a small one gallon batch. Take notes and keep us posted.

I was wondering about the chocolate part what if you used powdered cocoa wouldn't that be better?? seems it would impart more of the flavor and you wouldn't have to use as much I'd think. I would think in probly a shorter time it would sink to the bottom with the lees and could be basically taken out at the next racking

Eddie, I know most recipes call for using cocoa. I have stepped outside of the bottle for this method and its working for me. I cannot tell you which one is better but only what my results have been. I know what the local professionals are saying at competitions and am really looking forward to what the judges have to say in L.A. And CT. at the international competions. I'll keep you posted.

David Julie already posted a link and type in post #4. If you have a high candy maker specializing in chocolate ask them if they have a dark bitter sweet chocolate high in cocoa. The chocolate i used last year only had 55% cocoa. You may have to buy it in block form and chip it up to fit in the carboy.

Missed it completely. Thanks!

I checkout out Chocosphere....wow! Helluva a lot of chocolate to choose from there....any recommendations???

I checkout out Chocosphere....wow! Helluva a lot of chocolate to choose from there....any recommendations???

Yes as Julie posted earlier, "Go for the chocolate that has 71% cocoa or more". As long as your ordering add some chocolate ice cream syrup also. I ordered in July so I had to pay the extra shipping charge to keep everything cool. You will be able to avoid that charge this time of the year.

my bad, i asked the wrong question...

do you have any brand recommendations?

Guittard Chocolate Company. If you can't get this try to find a candy maker and ask for a recommendation close to this. I have gone both ways getting chocolate.

"I have gone both ways getting chocolate"

So that's what you will do for chocolate????

:h

Back