Grapes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ClydeWigg3

Reaction score
In a jam here, grapes will be ready to pick this weekend and I'll be unable to care for the wine the following weekend. How long do the grape hulls need to be in the must before I can remove them, or how long can I leave them in the bucket? If I don't remove them after the first 5 days, they'll be in the bag/bucket for 2 weeks. I have no way to freeze the grapes for later use.

Red or white grapes?

If they are white - just press the juice and ferment the juice only.

Two weeks is too long for red grapes - will impart too many tannins.

I am not sure about freezing them - you might be able to keep them cold - if you have a means to do that. 35 - 40*

Wait and see what some other have to say.

Assuming red wine grapes...
You are supposed to press off the skins at a specific SG for that grape type.
In Florida, things should ferment pretty fast. After 5 days, the SG should be pretty low. I'll bet you can press off the skins by then and be just fine. Worse case is it might be a little thinner or have less color.
I would not leave the skins on for 2 weeks, so you gotta do what you gotta do!
I would sure get started, though!

If they are red grapes which I would presume by this thread then you could cool ferment it which would make the wine ferment much slower. Right before you leave put your fermenting vessel in a cold bath to keep it cool. You will have to have someone punch down the cap or figure out a way to keep the fruit submerged to prevent mold from happening.

Regarding Cold Fermentation

I'm attaching a link to a youtube link that discusses extended maceration.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32jLNBHCmvk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32jLNBHCmvk[/ame]
I find the video rather interesting, but beyond my current equipment/ability.

I've heard suggestions that you freeze water in zip lock bags and add to the wine daily. Another suggestion is to add blocks of dry ice. The CO2 provides a level of protection to the wine.

I've not tried any of this yet. Someone would need to be around to add the ice blocks.

Best regards,
Paul

Latest posts

Back