Wine Store/Wine making shop.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scubaman2151

Reaction score
This new wine shop opened by me:
http://mypersonalwinery.com/

It is interesting becuase you can go to the shop, taste thier wines, decide which one you want to make and then you buy the kit, mix everything there and they take care of it for the next 6-8 weeks, then you come back when it is ready to bottle, you bottle it, label it and take it home.

This is kinda a cool concept for the brand new wine maker, but I think it takes most of the fun out of it.

Not a bad idea if you dont have the room in your place to make it but if you do your throwing alot of money away by having it done there cause you can do it for about $2.00 a bottle.

Scuba,
That type of shop is how I got Bert started making wines. It wasn't quite that pricy though. A few batches there and he realized that we could do this at home, for less. (We won't mention the cost of the floor corker, carboys, air locks, syphoning equipment, etc.)
smiley2.gif

There are several here in South Florida but they cost upwards of $250 - $300 not including bottles. They also make the kits and sell the wine under their own labels, about $7 - 8$ a glassor $20 - $25 a bottle...

I have also tried to buy bottles from a couple of them and most wanted $1.75 - $2 each,I let them keep their bottles...

I think that would be like wanting to paint, seeing the scene you want, someone else paints it for you and you take it home and hang it on the wall.

I think its a good idea and would probably have tried it before I bought all my stuff just to be sure I liked it before making such an investment. Personally I think that offering all the wines that could be made would be a great idea as you would help sell the wine kits and make profit on what you made. Kinda like making a kit, selling off 1/2 of it at a price to make up for the kit and cellaring the rest, some for an event like Georges bash and a few bottles for personal consumption.

Edited by: wade

I made my first batch of wine about 15 years ago and it went horribly wrong. Ended up dumping out every bottle. Then about 2 years ago one of these shops opened nearby. We made a batch and it was pretty good. After 2 more batches, I decided I needed to try it myself again. I think the store is more of a "bottle your own wine" and not a "make your own wine." They really do everything for you, except the bottling.

I did stop by the store a couple of weeks ago. I wanted to try a couple of wines before ordering the kit. They were out of the 2 I wanted to try, but I'll be back to get them when they become available.

They do a pretty good business for people who want a wine for weddings. They make for nice gifts with a custom label.

Mike

There is an operation like that in Grand Forks, ND...They use to do everything except you have to add the yeast and bottle it...that made it your wine, they couldn't do that for you. They made house wines for businesses as well.....they usually have over 100 carboys lined up...really neat to see all the colors, and smell all the smells.

They are now called a winery, now they sell bottled wine now as well as you can make your own. There was a franchise in Fargo, but last time we went by there it was closed, it wasn't there very long....maybe it just moved to a better location.

Franchises available...
http://www.vintnerscellar.com/

Steve, I'm in plantation (ft. laud) and only know of one local place off 595. Yes, like you said $$$. Are there more up by you? I would like to know of any other local places we have down here.

Latest posts

Back