Replacing corks, what is O2 exposure?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gekko4321

Reaction score
I want to pull what I think are bad corks and replace them. Some bottles have been aging close to a year and others only a month. My process would be to pull the cork, then siphon loose particles from current cork off of the top of the wine (never going below the neck line), top off with similar wine, then recork. Maybe 20-30 seconds of O2 exposure on the dime sized bottle neck opening. Do I need to worry about O2 exposure on any of these bottles-older and newer? Thanks.

How long are you planning on aging these? I'm with mademikes that the exposure is minimal, but if you're really stressed about it you could add a tiny bit more of SO2 with an eyedropper or the like (you'd have to do the math for the amount).

I'm by no means an expert and hopefully someone with more intimate knowlegde will chime in, but it seems adding a bit more kmeta to compensate for the exposure (and pouring in more wine I'm guessing will aerate a little as well) couldn't hurt in wines aging 3 to 5 years. Again just a thought...right or wrong. Good luck!

OK,

Let me ask the question...

If you want to only age 3 to 5 years, then why are you replacing the corks? I have wine that I bottled 17 years ago and it is still sealed.

johnT

OK,

Let me ask the question...

If you want to only age 3 to 5 years, then why are you replacing the corks? I have wine that I bottled 17 years ago and it is still sealed.

johnT

oooh what kind and is it still good?
drinking.gif

John, as I mentioned, the corks I chose are bad so I have to replace them. They are dropping white flakes into my wine, either food glue or parafin wax. I assume they are not hurting the wine flavor but certainly the aesthetics. I already swapped them out.

Latest posts

Back