The Bread Yeast Experiments

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have fun experimenting! I have found that a certain bakers or bread yeast can go as high as 13.545% ABV with just plain fermentation, no special handling required. I only know this because out of desperation and not receiving my yeast in a timely manner I forced myself to use this yeast on hand. For my particular wine made here I find it satisfactory and will continue to use it in that same recipie (it actually imparts a DESIRED taste). I have searched all around the net and it seems the ONLY reason I could find to not use it is the low alcohol tolerance, but it was right on target for me! Drove the must to .993 after one full month. Primary for 7 days and racked into secondary for 23 more days, initial was 1.098.... And to boot my results have so far after several batches of 5 gallons each have been predictable and consistent. yes I know most winemakers will rebutt this and most say NEVER use bread yeast, but what is the other reasons? I have consistency and ABV I target for, what else? Maybe it is the one thing that is taking my wine longer to settle and clear.... Ok... I can live with that. But yes I use wine yeast in other recipies because the bread yeast did not perform well.....hmmm...maybe someone ought to write a book? Lol

That is pretty much on target with what ive heard from distillers. That bread yeast is a lot stouter than most people give it credit for. It might be my imagination but whenever i use bread yeast in my hooch washes it seems to impart at "bready" taste. Who knows maybe im crazy

Bread yeast will do better as you would expect from most stories.

However bread yeast has a bad name just because people used it as kids to make some wine with and at that time did not have the expertise they have now.

I did an experiment in which I made two exact the same wines from exact the same must (apple juice with sugar and some added acid).
Both wines finished dry and both had a distinct different taste. That is because yeast will bring flavors to a wine.

The story is still pending for being published on my weblog as I followed fermentation all through the process to exactly see were the differences were. However there is always something else coming up.......

However the end result was so that I have used bread yeast many times after that experiment.

From my own experiences upto now I can honestly say that all horror stories on breadyeast are pure nonsence and due to making wine with bad winemaking practices.

Luc

I've used bread yeast in a few wines. I've never ended up with any kind of bready taste and it's always finished quite dry. I've only used it in cheap wine (ie wine from frozen fruit juice concentate) so I've never expected a whole lot out of it. I might try it in some real wine just to see how it turns out. I agree with Luc. It's all about your process. The yeast certainly has an impact on the flavor but it's a lot more subtle than a lot of people try to make it out to be. The fruit and the rest of the recipe are going to have a much bigger impact.

I've used bread yeast in a few wines. I've never ended up with any kind of bready taste and it's always finished quite dry. I've only used it in cheap wine (ie wine from frozen fruit juice concentate) so I've never expected a whole lot out of it.

For sure... i made some.. hence the RIP in my signature... it tasted like bread not wine. it was a depressing waster. so sad.

I don't see any RIP in your signature woodsxdragon. Anyway, after backsweetening some mango wine i do sense a bit of a bread yeast but after it settled out again I find that taste is in the lees not in the actual wine. Would I use the lees in anythign else, no, simpy put why would I since bread yeast is easy to get world wide. I even had some recent batches of mango come out to >.990 finished (my hydrometer stops at .990), then had to backsweeten, this is 17.2% ABV!!! So where is the problem? I can see this not working out for some other wines with sensitive or weak taste in the first place as it may overpower it. Quite frankly I don't know at this point since it has worked out for me rather well so far.

Latest posts

Back