corks!?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsmahoney

Reaction score
Since the weather is getting warmer, and my wine room is getting warmer also, I've decided to take the fullbottles down to that dreary old basement. EEEE! Partial basement with a crawl space. I always feel as if there are a lot of creepy crawlers in the area, weather I clean it or not, lots of small holes and cracks.

My questions is: Do I need to put shrink wraps or wax over the corks? Keeping the corks clean, and away from any bugs living in the surrounding area?

My basement is just a partial room with the water heater, wood burner furnace, propane furnace, and a whole mess from the wood being tossed in throughout the winter. Concrete floor, and the old lime stone walls and brick,that are of direr need of help. It's the last place a person wants to be!
smiley24.gif
But!!!!!!!!! It's the coolest place in the house!

Here is a picture in progress. Any suggestions are welcome. Once the board is full, should hold five crates, I'll add another board in front with more crates, or a possible crate on top, second story.
Thanks in advance for your help!jm
20070512_134530_IMG_0031_Small.JPG

I wouldn't be concerned with it. My wine storage area is much creepier and crawlier!

Nice crawl space. And very clean.

I wouldn't worry about the shrink wraps or wax unless you really want to do it or you plan on eating the corks along with your wine
smiley2.gif
. Sorry couldn't resist that one. The corks are a barrier to protect your wine from air and the creepy crawlies. So another barrier is not necessary. BTW where are those fine cobwebs around you bottles???

I talked to the creepy crawlies in my basement, we have an understanding.
smiley22.gif

If a real concern to you, try plastic wrap around your corks, wouldn't take much, and you would feel better.Edited by: JWMINNESOTA

This is what I've gottenso far, I have one bulk aging. Have vacation in a couple of weeks and plan to have myself a bottling party! I've been so busy that all I've got done doing is purchasing wine kits and not getting them made. I started two batches today, have four more kitsto make and two in the mail. So, I best get busy! Thanks for your help everyone!
20070512_160634_IMG_0032_Small.JPG

Would you mind providing information on the white baskets? I like your use of them and may try some myself.Edited by: Smokegrub

You have much more space than I do, mine runs along one wall in a small closet down in the dungeon..er.. basement, there are four sections along the back wall, just enough room to get in and fill or pick
smiley2.gif
Pics kinda dark, but it is kinda dark down there. Must be that time of year, I spent the morning doing the same thing, cleaning and moving, have about 90 more bottles to get down there, so off I go..
20070512_171950_cellar4_Small.jpg

Smokegrub said:
Would you mind providing information on the white baskets? I like your use of them and may try some myself.

These baskets are boughten for 3-4 dollars apiece at the Dollar Store. I had a couple of them in my upstairs so called wine room, filled them with full bottles of wine and left the baskets on the carpet (like shown in the pictures on the sides). They had a tendency to slide out, (the ones on top). So, I'm going to watch these closely. I'm thinking being on the shag carpet and with a lot of footage moving around being on the floor they moved their way out. I'm hoping in the basement that they stay sturdy, since the only thing moving is the creepy crawlers, they do already seem to be more solid than when stacked in and placed on the carpet. I plan to put another board in front and possible stack a few more basketswhen i get the rest bottled. They work great for hauling the bottles too! Edited by: jsmahoney

JW-I like the dungeoner shelves, I wish I could make shelves like that in my basement, but during the winter the wood burning furnace is on and it stays to warm. The so called wine room usually stays around 60 or less in the winterand so that is where I have kept the wine. I'm not looking forward to transferring them every 6 months upstairs and then down. I keep "wine--ing"
smiley19.gif
and I think my other half will eventually build a room for me just for my wine making and storage.
smiley4.gif
smiley16.gif

Ok I use shelf space in the cellar..Will be building somrthing for storage..not sure what yet..

20070512_181131_storage.jpg

20070512_181202_storage2.jpg

20070512_181226_storage3.jpg

I know you've already stacked em, but if you run another board under the front of the cases it will give them a sight tilt back and hopefully keep the bottles in the bins.

Coaster said:
I know you've already stacked em, but if you run another board under the front of the cases it will give them a sight tilt back and hopefully keep the bottles in the bins.

I thought about that too, but was worried the corks wouldn't keep moist. When asking my other half all I got was
smiley5.gif
! So, that will be my next step if they start to slide out. I thought about a small sliver of wood under the lip of the baskets to give them just alittle tilt. jm

Bmorosco,
What a fine assortment of wine! WOW! I too thought about using my boxes for storage, but was afraid the basement would give them that wilting look or mold. NO! I don't have mold in the basement that I know of, but I don't keep anything down there either. Just isn't a nice place to be, but it will do well with my wines. I hope!

Thanks for the info. on the baskets. I will drop by Dollar Stores and see if they have any in my area.

Could you try some of that cabinet liner stuff that is no skid. You could cut some strips wide enough for the main body of the bottle and place in each layer. That way no slipping and it should not be visible either.

docbee said:
Could you try some of that cabinet liner stuff that is no skid.

What a great, simple, elegant solution. I've been worrying about the same thing with my bottles. Thanks!

Brian

JS,

The reason you had a problem on the carpet was what holds the carpet in place - a strip of wood around the edge, about 3/4" from the wall. It is about 1/4" thick and has little spikes sticking out. It is called "tackless," and was invented so carpet installers wouldn't have to use tacks to hold the carpet down. It grabs the carpet backing and holds it in place.

Whenever I put a tall bookcase or cabinet against the wall in a carpeted room I put a 1/4" thick piece of scrap too small to stick out under the front. That insures a vertical position. Wade, being a better carpenter than I, would design in a notch to go around the tackless.

If you want to get a little back-tilt on your baskets, go to the home center and get a piece of screen mold. It is a strip of wood 1/8" thick and 5/8" or so wide. Put it under the front and it will prevent slide out without putting enough tilt on the bottles to leave the corks dry.

Latest posts

Back