Blowing bottles

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Angie

Reaction score
Help....I did a shiraz kit and followed the standard instructions - when the sg was down I did the packages of k-meta, sorbate, finings etc. At that point I also backsweetened the wine. It then sat in the carboy for a full year, with no activity.

I finally bottled last December and just found some blown bottles. I have about 2 cases of bottled wine now and not sure if they are all going to start fermenting. I held a couple up to the light and can't see anything in them.

Do I uncork everything and put back into a carboy, add more sorbate and k-meta or do I refridgerate them and leave them there???

I have not tested any of the remaining bottles for taste, odour etc...will do that after I cool down and am not so :po

Do you know for sure it is fermenting again?

Did you check for possible CO2 issues? Did you degass?

Sure wish I had a five dollar bill for every popped cork in the last several months. Did you see this today from Dirty Dog under the Maple Syrup thread;

On a side note, I found my first popped cork.. I know that its not from re-fermentation cause I have opened other bottles and had no problem..

If you have blown bottles then yes Id uncork all of those bottles and check the sg of them to see if they fermented again.

I am pretty happy these days when I get my cork to pop! :try

ROFLMAO

cid_002001c6f38b15d4a920a8e4ac46bob.gif

will have to test a couple of bottles. I can't see that anything else would make pop, unless the corks are crappy and bacteria got in....using Spagnol's corks

The first 3 things that come to my mind are:
  1. Alcoholic fermentation
  2. MLF (unlikely, since this is a kit)
  3. Spoilage microbes

At what temp did you bulk age? Did you store your bottles at the same temp?

drink faster ;) refrigeration can slow the process but won't stop it completely.

Latest posts

Back