New Wine Room

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, first mission accomplished, finished the biggest wall rack and trimmed out the corner cabinet. Time to move some wine!! And for those with a discriminating eye like mine, yes, the six racks on the right are wider to handle those bigger bottles with larger diameters.

After that, I've got the second load of wood to cut and 22 rack frames to build for the second wall. Won't install them until all of the cabinets come in, but I'll be ready when they arrive.

image.jpg

Wow, I'm absolutely enjoying this project, can't wait for the upcoming posts!!!

Wall 2, waiting for the base cabinet, got all of the remaining racks completed, cabinet in the middle, 12 racks on each side. Just a few hours work to get all of that put together and trimmed out, then moving on to the diamond racks and crown above the wine racks on both walls.

image.jpg

So do you have any corners where rack meets rack and how do you handle it?

I do, and there are different ways to handle it. One way is just to have a 1' x 1' dead space where they meet, I don't like that option personally. Some corners I've seen have radiuses with the bottles radiused in, but that still wastes some space.

I have a corner display unit in place with shelving and LED lighting, you can see it just on the left edge of some of some of the photos of the completed rack. I'll post a pic of the unit itself a little later today so you can see it better.

John,

So I'm looking at this impressive build, and I started thinking (now you know you are in for it). Are you going to hang the robotic arm to pluck those bottles out of the rack, put them in your robotic cart, which will properly chill the whites and slightly cool the reds to the recommended temperature, then deliver it to you anywhere in the house (or yard)?

You could also program it to clean your bottles for you.

On a more serious note, how is the cooling system keeping up with the heat and humidity that looks like it isn't letting up anytime soon (at least not before October or so)?

John,

So I'm looking at this impressive build, and I started thinking (now you know you are in for it). Are you going to hang the robotic arm to pluck those bottles out of the rack, put them in your robotic cart, which will properly chill the whites and slightly cool the reds to the recommended temperature, then deliver it to you anywhere in the house (or yard)?

You could also program it to clean your bottles for you.

On a more serious note, how is the cooling system keeping up with the heat and humidity that looks like it isn't letting up anytime soon (at least not before October or so)?

Well Craig, I was thinking of hooking all of the bottles up through a hypodermic needle / hose system and through a computer controlled dispenser system so I could pick a wine from a touch screen and have it dispensed at temperature from a tap just outside the room. But that would take all of the fun out......

Room is cooling like a charm, settled on 60 for the summer months and the humidity stays right around 70%, and runs maybe 8 hours a day. Run time is improving (getting lower) as I put more wine and woodwork in place, it helps hold the temps much like a full freezer vs an empty one. We had upper 90's for 5 days straight, it took it in stride.

Got one cabinet box anchored in place this evening and put the racks in and trimmed them out. Will tackle the left side tomorrow unless I have to press and rack the Chileans. Should be getting the diamonds to go on top of both walls of racking on Friday. Hope to install them and get the crown up over the weekend.

image.jpg

Opus,
Here's a straight on photo of the corner cabinet, I'll be able to store bottles there, or display larger bottles and decorative items. Better than wasting the corner.

I think the corner cabinet is one of the high end integration features that makes this build very distinctive. And who wants to look at an empty corner. Nicely done!

I think the corner cabinet is one of the high end integration features that makes this build very distinctive. And who wants to look at an empty corner. Nicely done!

Thanks for the vote of confidence! I actually added that element in after the initial millwork shop drawings were done, it looks like it will work out pretty nicely.

I think the cabinet on wall 2, with its stone top and stone wall is going to be pretty distinctive too. My millwork buddy who's getting all of the mahogany is playing with some ideas for the underside of the diamond racking in the area above the countertop, and I still need to figure out how to close in the open ends of the racks where they meet the countertop area.

I'm wearing a path into the floor between the wine room and the garage where I do all of my cutting. I'm thankful that I invested years ago in a DeWalt miter saw, it's been an invaluable tool.

Latest posts

Back