Sweet chocolate cherry Mead fementing issue

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Making Jack Kellers recipe. I am NOT putting the cherries in until secondary. The problem is the SG is barely moving even though I see plenty of action inside. I just moved it from the one gallon carboy to a regular bucket (easier the whip up daily) and added more nutrient and energizer.

Does it normaly take this long for primary? This is my second attempt was for naught as I put the cherries ( with preservatives) in first and there was never any action.

We'd need to know more about what you added, what you did to prepare it, what yeast you used, how long its been, how warm it is, etc...

Cant really help much, without any information..

Jacks recipe here: http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/reques28.asp

Did everything except KSorb and cherries. Temps in lower to mid 70s and was in a 1 gallon jug w/airlock. It has signs of much activity. Same yeast. And as it stated I switched it to a regular bucket with towel over it so I can whip it up every day. At it now for 2 1/2 weeks.

I should say I added cherries in my first batch I tried in the spring that never really fermented. I am holding off on THIS batch until secondary to add the cherries.
I also just added more energizer and nutrient as I moved it from jug to bucket.

Did you take any SG/TA/pH readings?

When did you start this / How long has it been since you pitched the yeast?

Ah, high starting SG too..

Is there any kind of foam/froth on top?

I'd stir the heck out of it tonight, and see what it looks like in the morning.. If you put your ear to it and can hear snap-crackle-pop, stir it like crazy again & might wait until the evening to see if it wakes up..

If not, pitch new yeast

Yeah. Thinking a champagne yeast. With the choc being prominent , the yeast notes that get imparted won't be noticeable.

I have only made a couple of meads. One was joam, followed the recipe and put it away. Really don't know how long that one took. Made another batch of plain mead. It took a loooooong time to ferment. Don't remember off hand the starting s.g. but think it was pretty high also. Think it might of needed more nutrient and energizer. Came out like I believe mead should, I personally don't much care for it, but if you flavor it just a bit it comes out really good. I mixed it with some of my pear wine and that makes it pop. Arne.

Latest posts

Back