What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This was Christmas dinner, so a day late:

Roasted artichokes (lemon, EVOO); sweet potatoes and butter; roasted lima beans with garlic, manzanilla olives, and thyme; a rib roast, which I marinated overnight in a persillade (EVOO, garlic, parsley, thyme) with slivers of garlic embedded in the roast. I did a reverse sear on this, cooking for a few hours at ~225F. I pulled it at ~120F internal temperature, and let it sit for an hour or so. After cooking the rest of the meal, I then cranked the oven up to 550F, and seared it for 10 minutes. Truth be told, the slices I cut off for our dinner was a little underdone, closer to rare than to medium rare. The funny thing is that the rest of the roast turned out essentially perfect. I guess I should have let the seared roast rest yet again. Oh well, it was still PDG.

Washed down with a cheap Amarone from WTSO. No one complained.View attachment 69806View attachment 69807View attachment 69808
That's the same reverse sear method and temps I used this year and in the past except when I pull it at 120 or 122, I only let it rest for about 25 minutes while the oven gets up to 500. During that rest it climb to 128 or 129. Still rare to med rare, but not as rare as what you had. I only sear it 5 or 6 minutes, but have never checked the temp after the sear.

Interesting you mention that. I've seen similar comments on The Virtual Weber Bullet and that was my feeling on my two roasts this week as well. Yesterday was only the 2nd time I'd gone Sous Vide with a tenderloin roast and Wed was the first time I ever did a rib roast (that wasn't Sous Vide, but was done low-n-slow with a sear to finish). Normally, when going SV with steaks, I hold at 131F, then sear. I think with a full roast, a few extra degrees might be needed. I'll experiment at some point - maybe in the next few days if I can find a good deal.

I saw another Juliet Amarone on WTSO today (didn't catch the year), but didn't get there in time to buy.

That's the same reverse sear method and temps I used this year and in the past except when I pull it at 120 or 122, I only let it rest for about 25 minutes while the oven gets up to 500. During that rest it climb to 128 or 129. Still rare to med rare, but not as rare as what you had. I only sear it 5 or 6 minutes, but have never checked the temp after the sear.

Umm, well, this is somewhat awkward, but pulling the roast early followed by an extended resting time (more like 1:30) was due to some conflicting, uhhh, conjugal duties whose timing I had to work around! :db

I repeat: no one complained! :)

Umm, well, this is somewhat awkward, but pulling the roast early followed by an extended resting time (more like 1:30) was due to some conflicting, uhhh, conjugal duties whose timing I had to work around! :db

I repeat: no one complained! :)

Well, thanks for clearing that up! I'm glad I wasn't there for dinner. 🤣

Tonight's offering was Shrimp Diane, mostly from Paul Prudhomme. I used half Oyster 'shrooms, and half 'bellas, along with thyme, cayenne, oregano, basil, ho-made shrimp stock, cream, butter, garlic, onions, parsley, etc., and served over Angel Hair. Also leftover roasted artichoke, and sauteed/braised escarole with garlic, EVOO, and sherry. Pretty tasty. Washed down with a ho-made Chardonnay.

IMG_1355.JPGIMG_1356.JPG

Was that a 2012 DOCG? Could not have been too bad!

Yes, yes it was a 2012 DOCG.

It was quite nice. I think it had a touch of volatile acidity. More like a layer of complexity than a flaw, but a little off. Again, no one complained! :)

Edit: It warranted a collective "meh"-to-decent from the Cellar Tracker folks: CellarTracker

Saturday nights post Xmas dinner. Detroit Pizza using my sourdough pizza crust recipe. Pepperoni, sweet Italian sausage, red onion, green olives (all below the cheese layer). Baked off at 450F in the Wolf oven. Very good chew on the crust. Not too thick either. Paired very well with a 2015 Ego Bodegas Jumilla Goru 18 M (Monastrell & Cabernet Sauvignon)

1609119296013.jpeg

1609119311747.jpeg

1609119323496.jpeg

Occasionally, but rarely, have I wanted a 6-burner range. Even rarer is when I desire that when the main course is leftovers, and half the dishes were roasted AND I used the Instapot. But, it's 2020, so here we are!

Roasted carrots (marjoram); pinto beans (garlic, cilantro, chipotle); roasted romanesco broccoli (preserved lemons, capers, garlic, butter); green beans (tarragon, butter); leftover beef from the rib roast, seared over super high heat, served with sauteed mushrooms (oyster & portobello, with garlic, thyme, and onions) and a classic demi-glace sauce that I made from scratch, but a long time ago, from the freezer.

IMG_1360.JPGIMG_1359.JPGIMG_1364.JPG

Had a hankering for Rib Eye after seeing all the Roast Beast from previous days. This was the last of a whole standing rib roast I snagged last year and broke down at home and vac sealed. Cooked on the Weber Kettle at ~300F for an hour over charcoal and pecan. Pulled @ 128F and brought inside to rest tented. Served with a baked (smoked) potato and a salad on the side. "Washed it down" with a little ol' Red Mountain Cab blend from 2010............

1609169410639.jpeg

1609169445801.jpeg

1609169464707.jpeg

1609169543781.jpeg

Had a hankering for Rib Eye after seeing all the Roast Beast from previous days. This was the last of a whole standing rib roast I snagged last year and broke down at home and vac sealed. Cooked on the Weber Kettle at ~300F for an hour over charcoal and pecan. Pulled @ 128F and brought inside to rest tented. Served with a baked (smoked) potato and a salad on the side. "Washed it down" with a little ol' Red Mountain Cab blend from 2010............

View attachment 69841

View attachment 69842

View attachment 69843

View attachment 69844
Great marbling. I bet it was delicious. BTW, love the name on the wine, "Force Majeure."

King salmon, sauced/marinated with garlic, lemon, EVOO, Dijon, and parsley, then roasted at 450 for ~20 minutes; broccoli rabe, sauteed with garlic and EVOO, with some spicy oil from the Calabrian peppers jar; seafood risotto with ho-made shrimp stock, pecorino, and truffle oil; and roasted mukimame (i.e., edamame) with olives, garlic, lemon, EVOO, and marjoram.

IMG_1368.JPG63098083218__65637BCE-3BE1-49CD-906F-59261FA6D601.JPG

Latest posts

Back