Redhots

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wineon4

Reaction score
Anyone ever make an apple wine with redhots candy in the secondary?

Going to make a 1 gallon test batch today, along with a 1 gallon test of Pineapple and a 1 gallon test of Orange. If my wife and I like them I will do 5 gallon of each. I will keep the post updated.

Made a 5 gallon batch today

5 Gallon walmart apple juice
2 each 6.5 oz boxes of Redhots
Red Star yeast
Pectic enzyme
acid blend
7 lb sugar

Starting SG of 1.08

also started 1 gal Pineapple, and 1 gallon orange

My brother made what he called "Apple Pie Wine" using nothing but apple juice, Everclear, and redhots. Just mix the juice & Everclear together, then throw the redhots in and wait for them to dissolve.

I made a better version by fermenting apple juice with cinnamon and nutmeg in it.

It took 48 hours for the ferment to start. Noticed this morning that the primary was starting to give off some gas and bubbles. Smells great and has a nice red color. I will post some photos when it is in the carboy. The orange and the pineapple boiled over last night, woke up to airlocks full of juice.

This batch is ready for stabilizing and clearing. It smells great and tastes even better nice flavor from the Redhots candy and just a little hot bite from them. Can't wait to drink some.

This sounds like it may be good. When I first read this when you first started the thread, I thought- Why would anyone put hot dogs in a wine. Funny how words have different meanings from one place to another. Red Hots are a type of hot dogs, sometimes with a meat sauce on them like a chilidog.

Wine is clear and stable. Tastes great, almost like a Reisling. The redhots give a burn on the back but on the front it reminds me of a Reisling.

Also, did you put the red hots directly in the primary, or on a straining bag? Did you have any debris from them, or did they completely dissolve?

I start to drink even before I bottle, but I do age some of every batch I bottle. After I get down to around 10 bottles left of a batch my wife puts her Special Reserve on it and I am no longer allowed to open any or give any away without her expressed permission LOL.

I put 2 boxes of Redhot candy in the primary and they stayed on the bottom, I stired each day until I racked to the secondary and they were still whole except for the Red color have disolved into the wine. After about 2 weeks I racked again and they had completely disolved but left a goo on the bottom which I discarded in the racking. The wine started out to be a light red color but now that it has finished it is the color of a white table wine and extremely clear and brite.

Just a note the first couple days there was an oil film on the top in the primary must have been from the cinnamon oil in the candy. This prevented the start of fermentation to the point I started another yeast in water with energizer, sugar, and nutrient until it was working well then added it to the primary and it took off the next day.

Plan to bottle this evening and may drink a couple glasses with diner.

I started my batch this evening. I am making 6 gallons. After tasting the apple juice, I decided to tweak the recipe a bit and add 4 green granny smiths, very tart, to add a sour element and some fresh fruit pulp to help the yeast get started. I also up'd the red hots to three boxes. Depending on flavor, I may add more as it progresses. Also, I added the red hots in a nylon straining bag so I had control of them and could steep them through the process.

I am so excited! I love red hots!

36 ounces of red hots all dissolved in 4 hours flat. Also raised my SG .2! I guess I added too much enzyme!!!

We have been drinking this for a couple days now, it is great. I am at my hunting camp since this is the last weekend of Pa deer season and I will serve it with diner tonight, the gang in camp are in for a treat.

Update, This has a great Redhot candy flavor and goes well for Christmas. I served some to my family at our family Christmas card exchange party on Sunday and it was a hit. Can't wait until it ages and then really get into it. House77 how is yours doing?

hey guys....could help but notice, and have a little suggestion for next time, and will probably yield a red color wine as well....instead of using red hots, next time you might want to consider using "fire" flavored jolly ranchers.....make like a double boiler system, adding a tad bit of water in with the candies, and heat on the stove....they liquify and will leave no oily residue, unlike with the red hots....just a suggestion though, seeing as how i have used this method to create my flavorings for my alcohol base, or water wine, so to speak, in order to create my own version of "pucker'd".....:b

It is fantastically doing it's thing in secondary and smelling great. It is also quite red, though it has plenty of clearing to do, and I used three times the red hots you did. I will be looking for a strong cinnamon flavor and was thinking of back sweetening with apple concentrate soaked in Three Alarm Hot Tamales. This of course won't happen until fall next year so I have plenty of time to experiment.

It is fantastically doing it's thing in secondary and smelling great. It is also quite red, though it has plenty of clearing to do, and I used three times the red hots you did. I will be looking for a strong cinnamon flavor and was thinking of back sweetening with apple concentrate soaked in Three Alarm Hot Tamales. This of course won't happen until fall next year so I have plenty of time to experiment.

cohenhouse, How is the redhot apple? Tastes great I bet. I only have 6 bottles left. I just started a new batch, still in the primary.

Back