Mosti Mondiale Chile Fresco

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MrTree, never made that particular variety but my experience with Mosti Modiale All Juice bucket reds has not been great. The whites, on the other hand, seem better to me. I find the reds thin and lacking flavor.

Just one person's opinion.

I do at least 1 or 2 a year, this year will be a Carmenere. I see you live north of Albany, so you probably use the same distributor I do.

Jim M

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply Rocky, I think I am going to pass on these.

Jim M, yes I am in Halfmoon, what do you think of these kits?

Thanks for the reply Rocky, I think I am going to pass on these.

Jim M, yes I am in Halfmoon, what do you think of these kits?

I think they are great!!! I usually do 3 or 4 in the fall and 1 or 2 in the spring. Just keep in mind, they are not kits per se. They are refrigerated pure juice with yeast added. They will start fermenting in the pail as they warm up. You usually have to supply your own oak chips although the Chilean juices sometimes include oak. If you want to clarify and bottle quickly, you will have to buy some superkleer. I find that extended time in the secondary will allow them to clear on their own.

MrTree, never made that particular variety but my experience with Mosti Modiale All Juice bucket reds has not been great. The whites, on the other hand, seem better to me. I find the reds thin and lacking flavor.

Just one person's opinion.
Rocky seems to be talking about the All Juice kits that MM markets year round.

mrtree is asking about a fresh juice pail from Chile. Should be quite different products.

Steve

Last edited:
I ordered 2 whites only. i am concern on the red because due to lack of grape pack. anyone experience with frozen must and had success with the reds?

cpfan good point. I have an urge to start a white so I might do one of the white buckets. Thanks for the replies!

I purchased the Merlot and Carmenere last year. They are still in carboys. I hope to bottle soon. I have not tasted them yet.

Chile Fresco is good stuff

I plan on getting one of the Mosti Chile Fresco buckets from FVW, having done them a couple times now. I would say Mosti's juice buckets are as good as the high end kits, and even better than those if you add a grape pack. I believe the Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) of these frozen juice buckets is higher than that of the Mosti Alljuice kits.

The juice is balanced and inoculated so all you have to do is bring it to room temperature and its off to the races! I have made the Carmenere (2009) and Cabernet Sauv. (last year). I haven't bottled the Cab yet, but am close to it. The Carmenere was very good, until it was gone! It was easily the best batch I had made before using fresh grapes, and on par with the Red Mt. Cab.

You have options to do MLF and use whatever oak you like, so that's somewhat liberating. You just need patience, since it will benefit from aging like fresh grapes.

I plan on getting one of the Mosti Chile Fresco buckets from FVW, having done them a couple times now. I would say Mosti's juice buckets are as good as the high end kits, and even better than those if you add a grape pack. I believe the Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) of these frozen juice buckets is higher than that of the Mosti Alljuice kits.

The juice is balanced and inoculated so all you have to do is bring it to room temperature and its off to the races! I have made the Carmenere (2009) and Cabernet Sauv. (last year). I haven't bottled the Cab yet, but am close to it. The Carmenere was very good, until it was gone! It was easily the best batch I had made before using fresh grapes, and on par with the Red Mt. Cab.

You have options to do MLF and use whatever oak you like, so that's somewhat liberating. You just need patience, since it will benefit from aging like fresh grapes.

From your wonderful description of the Camenere, i might get a bucket of Camenere this time. I wonder if i need to add raisin to it though.

I just, yesterday, picked up our bucket of Frozen Chilean Chardonnay/Semillon. can't say I have experience because this is our first one but it has gotten good reviews and it would be a lot more expensive to buy the grapes for 6 gallons.
sense it is not a kit it is just like making from fresh fruit with out all the hassle of extraction :)

Picked mine up yesterday too, along with a couple more kits. I'm going to add some chopped raisins at the outset in attempt to add some body - the last frozen-juice red wine I made was tasty but lacked structure. Last night when I opened up the bucket it looked like a big grape popsicle.

Bart have you tried any Tancor Grand Cru? If you want more structure and a longer finish on the palette tannin is what you need.

Picked mine up yesterday too, along with a couple more kits. I'm going to add some chopped raisins at the outset in attempt to add some body - the last frozen-juice red wine I made was tasty but lacked structure. Last night when I opened up the bucket it looked like a big grape popsicle.

lol ya .. .mine was totally thawed this morning but I had not stirred it yet. it has separated and looks like 4/5 grape and 1/5 water being on top and there is a definite line.

Bart have you tried any Tancor Grand Cru? If you want more structure and a longer finish on the palette tannin is what you need.
No, I haven't tried the Tancor, mainly due to the cost ~ $9 for one bottle. Is that enough for only one 6-gallon batch, or is it supposed to be used in smaller proportions? If one bottle is enough for 3 batches or more, than that would be a good deal.

One of my wine-making premises is to add as little non-grape 'stuff' as possible. I figure adding raisins to grape juice doesn't violate that principle. Tancor probably would ('course, I don't know how it is made).

Wait, weren't you the one who recommended adding flame raisins purchased from whole foods to kits a year or two ago?

lol ya .. .mine was totally thawed this morning but I had not stirred it yet. it has separated and looks like 4/5 grape and 1/5 water being on top and there is a definite line.

This morning, the juice was still chilled but completely defrosted. When I took my initial SG reading, I was surprised to see it at ~1.004-1.005. Noticing the light color of the surface and remembering how melted ice in a Coke will float on top, I stirred it pretty good. S.G. was down (up?) to 1.010 in a couple minutes. So, with some raisins added (loose) and sitting on the bottom presently, all systems are go!:r

Latest posts

Back