WineXpert Help me understand

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlietuna

Reaction score
I have made two wine expert batches & just started another today. They seem to all have the same issue.

First batch, you may have read about http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16248
weak & no taste.

The second (kiwi pear sauvignon blanc island mist) I just read the notes & it appears it had the same problem of a low starting SG. It was 1.440 low range of 1.048. I added 1.5 cups of sugar, but now I'm worried it will be weak in flavor based on the last problem in the link above

Today, I started a vinters reserve Chianti. I was very cautious to not over thin. I filled the bucket to just under the 5 gallon mark & took my first reading. 1.092. If I'd have filled to the 23 liter mark I would have over thinned again.

Are all winexpert kits this way. It seems so with my 3 kits. This is to be made as a 6 gallon kit, but it appears it will only be drinkable if I make it a 5 gallon kit.

I left it at 5 gallon, sg of 1.092. pitched the yeast 30 min ago.

Brian

To me, thin and low alcohol are not the same.

I haven't made any WE kits for a couple of years, and they were Selection Limited Edition not Vintners Reserve. I would expect VR kits made to 6 US gallons (23 litres) to have a starting sg of about 1.082 (ie 12%).

Question: do you stir the kits incredibly well (vigourously) before taking the hydrometer reading? This makes sure that the must is well mixed (concentrate, water and bentonite), and that there is O2 in the must as needed by the yeast.

Steve

One in the same

:d I do believe the last cru kit I did was a 6 gallon (fun wine kit) similar to yours and I made it according to the process however if I would have made it to a 5gallon standard instead of a 6 ,and brought the sg up to my standard 1.010 it would have made a better finish to the wine,it was thin and not as berry as it could have been ,.I believe that some times ,you have to go with the process and the next time you 'll no what to do better,LIVE AND LEARN,as they say...we- kits in my oppion are thin by nature and require aging and added help to become all that it can be as a wine...:b

Last edited:
I guess I'm wondering why you are making VR kits if you don't like a thin wine. Those are starter kits and aren't priced to provide a full bodied wine. I would add another $30 to the $60 price and step up to a Selection internation or Selection original. I think you will be happier with your wine.

I've made my share of Mist kits and enjoy them for what they are but if you really don't like the thinner kits, then step up to a higher quality.

Cpfan. Yes. I stir very well. I have a drill attachment & say I stir for ~ 3 minutes vigoursely Then today, with a number 1.092 at 5 gallon I stirred again for another few minutes & had the same result.

The chilean malbec (refered to in link in previous post)was thin tasting. I'm sure the alcohol was where it was suppose to be per the SG numbers. But the one I tasted was thin & had little flavor. Which to me parallels low starting Sg.( too much water)

I'm just wondering if anyone else is having these issues.

Unfortunately winexpert is all that's sold locally & I hate paying $30.00 for shipping of the other kits. Also, shops don't seem to carry anything but low end kits. One did offer to ordering for me tho.

Thanks
Brian

I guess I'm wondering why you are making VR kits if you don't like a thin wine. Those are starter kits and aren't priced to provide a full bodied wine. I would add another $30 to the $60 price and step up to a Selection internation or Selection original. I think you will be happier with your wine.

I've made my share of Mist kits and enjoy them for what they are but if you really don't like the thinner kits, then step up to a higher quality.

We must have been replying at the same time. I like your comment. If VR kits are known to make thin wine, I will not bother with them again. I will just see if my local shop can order in what I want.

I am new to winemaking and am learning nearly everyday.

Thank you

Brian

On a side note. Joeswine , I saw u mention cru. I made abatch of cru international Merlot & it turned out exceptional.

Starting sg: 1.100

Brian

joeswine....

'cru' is RJ Spagnols. Currently their lines include Grand Cru, Grand Cru International, Cru Select, and Cru Orchard Breezin'. Quite a range.

On a side note. Joeswine , I saw u mention cru. I made abatch of cru international Merlot & it turned out exceptional.
Starting sg: 1.100

The Grand Cru International kits should be better than Vintners Reserve because of the grape pack that is included. I haven't made any of the International kits, I go with Cru Select and better.

Steve

I made the Gran Cru (10L) chardonnay and found it to be weak as well. I decided that you get what you pay for and now stay away from 10L kits.

cru

orchard breezes,I did state it was a party wine,but I haven't found any of the more inexpensive kits that great but they are what they are,flavorfuland unless you boost up the abv. ,they can be sweet to a fault,you know we seen this on other threads,just my take on it ,nothing more.:b

I have absolutely no qualms about WineXpert with the exception of Diablo Rojo, a Vitners Reserve so shouldn't expect otherwise from a value kit.

Diablo Rojo

Value | Vintners Reserve | Red
Diablo Rojo

Dark purple in colour with a nose of blackberry jam melded with creamy vanilla aromas and a touch of tobacco. Rich in the mouth, with gently smooth tannins and rich, ripe plum and berry flavours. The finish is long and fruit-filled, with the perfect amount of toasty oak. This off dry wine is perfect for enjoying right away, delicious with robust foods and excellent all on its own.

What was your problem with the Diablo rojo? I just bottled a batch.

My chainti 6 gallon kit just racked into secondary in a 5 with room to spare.

Hope it turns out

Brian

I'm used to dry reds and most of the kits I've done have been in the Premium and above.

The Diablo Rojo is a Merlot and meant to be drunk young. In my case it just doesn't have the taste I expected out of a Merlot blend.

Their description of fruity and off-dry is spot-on but I had preferred a little less sweetness and more tannins.

Of course this ought NOT reflect on WE but my own tastes.

Unfortunately winexpert is all that's sold locally & I hate paying $30.00 for shipping of the other kits. Also, shops don't seem to carry anything but low end kits. One did offer to ordering for me tho.
Brian

Many times you can buy the kit and have it shipped in for less than some small LHBS charge for their kits. This is definitely the case in my home town.

The Wine Maker's Toy Store has great prices and the shipping is reasonable. Also, you typically won't have to pay sales tax, as you do locally. (Some states have different rules about sales tax)

Red kit wines, no matter how expensive or at what level they are, will never be as thick and have as much mouth-feel as the same wine made from fresh grapes. The kits with grape packs will come closest to a fresh grape wine, but still fall a littleshort in mouth-feel.

Hmmmmmm.....Even though the VR kits won't have the body (organoleptics) of the higher juice kits, they still should have the flavor if diluted according to directions. The fact that ANY kit needs to be diluted 20% in order to get flavor indicates a problem with the kit, not your dilution.
I have stopped using WE kits completely, and have advised others to do the same, had the same problem with the Selection kits also, Verdichio, symphony, and chardonnay. I think the problems are with WE. It isn't a constant problem, but surfaces often enough that you never know what you are getting.
Now, when I do wnat to do a kit. use Mosti all juice kits (Meglioli) and get super results. With WE kits, it is a coin toss.

Latest posts

Back