EZ oak, hanging Oak

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rshosted

Reaction score
I wanted to oak my wine that I have bulk aging, but I didn't want to have to rack it again, since it's already pretty clear. So I did some searching and found a product called "oak-chain" but couldn't find a place to buy it. I did find a product called "oakboy" and that is pictured here. I'm not sure the size of the oak cubes that George sells here, but I bet they would work well for this.

This only costed a couple of bucks for the hooks and the nylon wire.

I found the Nylon wire and Hooks at Lowes. i got the Oak at another place (Sorry George)

Nylon wire: I took the "Loop Hook" (or whatever it's called) and tied it
to the nylon wire using a regluar square not. Though it didn't seem to tie well, it doesn't come un-tied.
2006-01-16_125350_0115-1606_DAnjou_pear_wine_pictures_006.jpg

Then I took my piece of oak and sanitized it. I'm sure this would be the same with the cubes that George sells (sorry, I'm just trying to support the person who supports this forum... even though I've never talked with him
smiley1.gif
):

2006-01-16_125532_0115-1606_DAnjou_pear_wine_pictures_007.jpg

Next, I screw in a sanitized I-hook. One note, I soaked the wood to sanitize and to soften it. since Oak is a hardwood, I didn't want it to crack when I screwed in the hook. Also note how small those hooks are (this also helps to prevent the wood from splitting):

2006-01-16_125612_0115-1606_DAnjou_pear_wine_pictures_008.jpg

And walla! This allows me to add oak to my carboy without having to remove a bunch of pesky oak-chips. In retrospect, I think the oak cubes would be good in case you didn't want to add as much oak to a wine... you could build a 'chain' of three or four. And it's not like the hooks cost enough to make a difference.

(turn head sidways
smiley36.gif
)

2006-01-16_125847_0115-1606_DAnjou_pear_wine_pictures_010.jpg

Originally, I was going to screw the I-hook on the end into my rubber bung, and use that to hold it up. I found with my rubber bung, I was able to allow the string to come out of my carboy and it would 'pinch' the nylon string in the side (and I didn't have to damage my rubber bung).

Now that I'm done, in a couple of months, I'll go down and pull it out of my carboy, put the bung back in and let it age for a couple more months before bottling.

Cheers!

Interesting inovation
smiley32.gif
, is the oak saturated enough to sink in the carboy, or does the airlock keep it from coming out of the neck? I'm guessing the nylon does not effect the airlock?

Sounds like a good idea,
smiley1.gif
I am hoping that any metal hooks, etc. submerged are "stainless steel?" Any other metals used can get corrosive due to wine acids, etc. which would also cause metallic flavors and to some degree a poison infected wine. A "Fishing Tackle" store has nice small I-hooks, swivels, etc. verify stainless vs. chromium coated. My two cents!

Or drill a super small hole in the top and fish it through the top, with a knot. Like a needle and thread.

I am a bit puzzled as to why you must hang it in the wine...it this for removal of the oak stick? Why can't you put it in the wine and let it float around?
smiley5.gif

smiley9.gif

Ok, I did this project about two weeks ago and took picutures while doing it. I just got around to posting it today.... Since all of you were asking questions I figured I'd go down and take a look at it..... I don't go into my 'wine room' unless I have a reason. Since most of my wines are young (less than a year) I haven't been down there.

What I found: Not good.
smiley18.gif
I'll report to you... even though I thought about just keeping this to myself because of the embarassment....

I found the wood was floating somewhat. The Stainless steel screw didn't appear to be "stainless". The good part is the wood was pushing it out of the wine. The bad part is, my rubber bung was sitting on top and pushed out a little so it was open to the air.
smiley3.gif

I pulled the 'contraption out' and unscrewed the I-hook and just put the wood in. It looks as if it will be able to be pulled out when needed becuase of it's lenth. (though, I will do what Med Pretzel suggested and just drill a hole in the top) It's so simple, not sure why I didn't think of it (hitting my head against the wall)....

So, I resanitized the wood and put it back in. This time I decided to switch from a rubber bung to a polyester (sp?) one. It seems to fit better and tighter. I'll be checking it in a few days. The wine was de-gassed and it should be fine that way.

Personally, I think I'll take the wood blocks next time and just drill them with the nylon cord. I'll have to see about keeping the cord out with a polyester bung at that time. I was a little upset about it being open this time to do it (since this was my estate Cab Sav)....

Just to make sure I answer the questions...

Masta: it was just for easy removal....

MedP and Maui: yeah good call...

PK: The wood appears to not be 'boyant' (sp?) enough to rise to the level of the new polyester bung.

Ok, lets all hope that the wine touching the air for that week didn't harm it.....
smiley34.gif

I think we should create a forum of: "how NOT to do discussion"

Edited by: rshosted

Are you using a solid bung or still under air lock?

It is my understanding that you need to let the wine sit under air lock for a few months before you install a solid bung. I could be wrong but, I think I read this somewhere in the forum.

I started to install one awhile back, but after about 5 minutes I decided against it and put it back under the airlock....

Don't feel bad, hosted. That's why these forums are here. Even the How to. The discussion is good for just that.
smiley1.gif

I think that is a great idea still!

smiley32.gif

The how-to's are coming along! Woohoo!

Yeah Steve, If it needs to be under air lock, my thinking is that the solid bung won't stay there for long if the wine doesn't want it there. (If wine can want things. I think it can.)

Hi Rshosted

When i oak my wines i make a bag out of cheese cloth and put the oak chips inside with 2 marbels and suspend them on a piece of Mono. fishing line about midways of the carboy.

Harry

This thread has given me an idea. 50 or 60 oak cubes drilled as if they were beads and strung on a piece of nylon fishing line. Hmmmmmm Could call it the Oak Snake, make a million bucks, retire to northern Italy.

Latest posts

Back