RJ Spagnols White Chocolate White Port

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2PUPs

Reaction score
I just got this Cru Speacialty kit today , and said what the Heck so I started it . Just wondering if anyone has done this kit and what their take on it is . Also what size bottles do you use for this , go with the 750mL or the 375mL bellisima << thinks thats what they are called .

Jeff.

Last edited:
I used half 375 Bordeaux and half 375 Ice Wine (same as Bellissima) on my LaBodega Port kit. I did a double batch and ended up with 8 gallons after fortifying. It would have broke the bank to do all ice Wine @ $25 for a case of 12!

If you go Ice Wine make sure they will fit in your floor corker if you have one. Some of mine did, some were a 1/4" too tall to fit into my Port floor corker.

I'm doing the RJS Coffee Port and just ordered 24 green 375ml Bellisima bottles.

I've made 4 of these kits and they are very popular with everyone who tries it. It's the only wine I make that my wife will drink. I bottle them in clear 375 ml bottles. I've made them all according to directions. It's sweet and can be drunk almost immediately, but the taste will change a bit over time so make sure you keep some for a while.
Good luck with yours.

I made this kit several years ago and it is one of the best ports I've made. I got a Gold Medal at Winemakers Magazine competition and a Double Gold Medal at the INDY competition for it. My wife and I just bottled our Coffee Port and Apple Tatin Port and they are amazing! We put all of our ports in Bellisima bottles either clear or frosted. Enjoy!!

If you go Ice Wine make sure they will fit in your floor corker if you have one. Some of mine did, some were a 1/4" too tall to fit into my Port floor corker.

Mike

I tried what you said and sure enough the plunger part hit the floor, I stuck a 2-4 under and front leg and it went down a wee bit more so the bottle fit with 1/8 inch to spare. I have a Choc rasp port to bottle soon and have a few of the big bottles

I like that WC port kit although I think it tastes more like Creme Brulee then White Chocolate.

Got the kit in the clearing and stabalizing stage , the lil Lady took a sniff of it and said hands off when done . What does this kit clear to , a light amber color or so .

Got the kit in the clearing and stabalizing stage , the lil Lady took a sniff of it and said hands off when done . What does this kit clear to , a light amber color or so .

About 6 months ago a friend gave me a bottle of this. If I remember, it was a very light chardonnay color.

It was a very nice port.

I remember it being a little darker then a Chard myself but its been awhile since I opened one of mine.

I just can tell you it is not red. It is definitely straw colored.

How long are you guys aging these? I am thinking about ordering a double batch.

The one bottle my friend gave me was less than 6 months old and already very nice. After all, it is made from a white wine grapes, which usually doesn't require as much aging as a red.

This, as with most whites, will still be much better in a year or so. It takes time for the flavorings to integrate and soften.

Doing a double batch is a good idea. The reason is you very likely are going to like this kit. And that way you can put one batch away for at least a year, but drink the other much sooner.

The one bottle my friend gave me was less than 6 months old and already very nice. After all, it is made from a white wine grapes, which usually doesn't require as much aging as a red.

This, as with most whites, will still be much better in a year or so. It takes time for the flavorings to integrate and soften.

Doing a double batch is a good idea. The reason is you very likely are going to like this kit. And that way you can put one batch away for at least a year, but drink the other much sooner.

Yeah, I had a bottle of a nice port the other day and when I thought about it I decided spending 40$ on one bottle was a little stupid... Now the next question... To fortify or not to fortify? And if you do fortify how do you deal with storage space. I have two 6 gallon better bottles and at least one 5 gallon carboy and can not think of an ideal situation. I really don't want to buy a 3 gallon better bottle. Could the wine be cleared and stabilized in a 6 gallon carboy and then fortified at bottling time?

Yeah, I had a bottle of a nice port the other day and when I thought about it I decided spending 40$ on one bottle was a little stupid... Now the next question... To fortify or not to fortify? And if you do fortify how do you deal with storage space. I have two 6 gallon better bottles and at least one 5 gallon carboy and can not think of an ideal situation. I really don't want to buy a 3 gallon better bottle. Could the wine be cleared and stabilized in a 6 gallon carboy and then fortified at bottling time?

Does the instructions say to fortify? I always add at least one bottle of non-flavored brandy to 3 gallons, regardless of the instructions. Brandy really smooths it out.

Never top off with water; consider topping off with brandy. You can do the secondary of 3 gallons in a 5 gallon carboy. Do not try to clear or age a 3 gallon batch in a 5 or 6 gallon carboy. Of course you can use three 1-gallon jugs for clearing.

If you can't use three 1-gallon carboys or one 3-gallon carboy, make a double batch and use the 6 gallon carboy.

If you top off with a white wine, you can certainly fortify a week or so before bottling.

Last edited:
Does the instructions say to fortify? I always add at least one bottle of non-flavored brandy to 3 gallons, regardless of the instructions. Brandy really smooths it out.

Never top off with water; consider topping off with brandy. You can do the secondary of 3 gallons in a 5 gallon carboy. Do not try to clear or age a 3 gallon batch in a 5 or 6 gallon carboy. Of course you can use three 1-gallon jugs for clearing.

If you can't use three 1-gallon carboys or one 3-gallon carboy, make a double batch and use the 6 gallon carboy.

If you top off with a white wine, you can certainly fortify a week or so before bottling.

Ok... Here is what I am thinking. Based on an earlier comment, a double batch when fortified is brought up to 8 gallons. I could do a double batch, top up a 6 gallon better bottle with a small amount of brandy if needed, then add more brandy at bottling time to do the actual fortifying. Sound like a good plan?

Also looks like I will need better corks. The ones I ordered say they are good for storage up to 36 months. The synthetic ones do not have a time marked on them. Do synthetic last up to 5 or 6 years? There are some natural ones that last 10 years, but are pretty expensive compared to synthetic.

Sorry we have hijacked your thread, 2-Pups.

One more answer on his thread -
I don't know about how much brandy is needed to fortify, as I have not made this kit and have not read the instructions.

Two gallons of brandy to fortify 6 gallons seems a bit much, but I can't really say.

But yes, if you intend to keep the wine longer than what the corks are rated for, you should contact your LHBS and get a better cork.

Latest posts

Back