Just bought wine grape juice for the first time!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To confirm the fermentation is over, I should check for SG readings which don't move over 2-3 days? Or will I have to kill the yeast? I don't want to add any more SO2, as I will be going through a MLF.

I didn't check the SG this morning, but it was almost at 0 yesterday. I know I'll have to adjust for alcohol, so will assume it's done at around 0.992

To confirm the fermentation is over, I should check for SG readings which don't move over 2-3 days? Or will I have to kill the yeast? I don't want to add any more SO2, as I will be going through a MLF.

I didn't check the SG this morning, but it was almost at 0 yesterday. I know I'll have to adjust for alcohol, so will assume it's done at around 0.992

You're almost there! Wines generally finish around 0.992. You are correct that a reading that doesn't move for 2-3 days is done.

Currently have my wine inoculated with the malolactic bacteria. I am waiting on a chromatography test kit to confirm whether the MLF is complete.

I have stirred the wine lightly a couple of times, and I still notice an off-smell, or what I perceive to be an off-smell. I wouldn't say it smells like rotten eggs, not as strong as that. I don't really know if it should be there, if it's down to the wine being young, and perhaps it will disappear with aging.

Any insight would be much appreciated.

Also, when I am stirring, should I be re-introducing anything that is now resting on the bottom?

Order of chromatography kit fell through, so I have one on the way from a different company.

Regarding the off-smell, if it is a faint sulfite smell, and I add campden tablets after confirming MLF is complete, will the smell reduce even with an airlock in place?

Thanks!

Order of chromatography kit fell through, so I have one on the way from a different company.

Regarding the off-smell, if it is a faint sulfite smell, and I add campden tablets after confirming MLF is complete, will the smell reduce even with an airlock in place?

Thanks!

My normal procedure at the end of MLF, is to rack out of the carboy, leaving behind the lees, into a clean carboy (or barrel if it's going into one) with sulfite powder in it. If there are any faint off odors or smells, allowing the wine to "splash" into the vessel will help eliminate CO2, as well as any faint smells left behind from fermentation / yeast.

Just saw your last question about the sediment wasn't answered. And yes, you should be stirring that sediment back up into suspension. It's actually the whole point of gently stirring during MLF. To get any malo bacteria that's been buried down there back into the wine so it can do its thing.
It's not exactly necessary, but is said to help the MLF along.
The smell issue I'm not able to help. But I think that's a good plan FWIW. And at MLF completion, rack, dose with K-meta, and give it some time to see what it does. Unless it gets worse before then.

Thanks for all the help!

Got the chromotograph paper drying now, hopefully the results will be ready by the time I get home.

One last question before storing for aging is to do with oak cubes.

Currently, I have oak chips in with the wine, and I am wondering if I take them out when I re-rack, or do I keep them in for long term aging?

Thanks again!

Oak chips give up everything they have to give in about 5 days and they really don't have much to give. Oak Cubes give up everything they have to give in 4-6 weeks, although I generally leave them in longer. Oak Beans are something I haven't used, but from what I understand they give up what they have to give in 6-8 weeks. Oak Staves are 3-4 months and I haven't used those either.

And a side note, don't rack until MLF is done, doesn't matter how much drops out of your wine, leave it alone, stir some.

Thanks for the information.

MLF is still going I guess, got spots for Malic acid showing up. Think I may have thrown out the test paper, should have kept it for reference.

Is there such thing as a stalled MLF?

Yes there is such a thing as a stalled MLF. If it happens there are a few choices 1) try a different MLB, 2) Warm it up and wait, 3) treat with Lysazome (and I may have misspelled that) it inhibits MLF from completing or restarting up again later on. I suppose absolute sterile filtration is in there as well. But give it more time is the first thing to do and stir it, maybe a bit more often.

Latest posts

Back