Almond Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was wondering if anyone had anymore nut wine wisdom. Did anyone make pecan or almond wine that was good?

I think the secret of nut wines is that you boil the nuts to extract their flavor and then freeze the tea. The oils from the nuts will tend to float to the top and so when you allow the tea to gently thaw you can skim off the oils. You use the tea to dissolve the sugar (wine) or honey (mead) or any other source of sugar (agave?)

That makes sense. I know the oil will be the big issue. I have heard to roast the nuts in the oven. Take them out ... brown paper bag to absorb oil .. repeat whole process 2 more times. Whew.. I’m tired already

Thanks for responding ! I may try the boiling method.

That makes sense. I know the oil will be the big issue. I have heard to roast the nuts in the oven. Take them out ... brown paper bag to absorb oil .. repeat whole process 2 more times. Whew.. I’m tired already

Thanks for responding ! I may try the boiling method.
In my recent research into fining agents I do recall reading that chitosan is a binder that grabs oils. Is the oil an issue or inhibitor to fermentation? If not I wonder is a bag of dual fine could do the trick. My last use of it in my white left a goopy layer at the bottom, what was it? Don’t know but it was gooey.

In my recent research into fining agents I do recall reading that chitosan is a binder that grabs oils. Is the oil an issue or inhibitor to fermentation? If not I wonder is a bag of dual fine could do the trick. My last use of it in my white left a goopy layer at the bottom, what was it? Don’t know but it was gooey.
I believe the issue is the oil turning rancid.

I think that oil requires oxygen to turn rancid. So if there is oil floating on the top, it could turn rancid. But if some of the oil is dissolved in the alcohol I don't think it will turn rancid.

Latest posts

Back