Wine Kitz 5 gallon carboy - 6 gallons wine ??

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homesteader26

Reaction score
So am I the only one with 5 gallon and 3 gallon carboys? Mine are all glass so handling a 6 gallon would be waaaay to much for this gal! Do most people when making kits rack into a 5 gallon and a 1 gallon to top off at subsequent rackings?? I could put in 2 three gallon carboys but I don't know what to expect for loss or how many rackings I should expect. With fruit wine or grape from scratch I lose with each racking but am thinking "perhaps???" That the loss will be less with kits.

So what do you do? I appreciate your thoughts as I dabble in new territory!

Get some 6 gal carboys, an all in one wine pump. I even went as far as to get an electric hoist to raise and lower full carboys.

Get a six gallon Better Bottle. I also have a glass carboy, I hate it. By itself it weighs a lot, let alone full of wine.

The older I get the harder they are to lift. LOL

Varity is the spice of life, I have 1s, 3s, 5s, 6s, 6 1/2s and even a 2 gallonand some of my 5s are slightly smaller that 5 gallons. One can never have to many carboys

I have 2-6 gallon plastic and 2- 6 1/2 gallon wide mouth plastic. Not all that heavy when full. Primary in the 6 1/2 and secondary in the 6 works well for me.

6 gallon better bottle to be purchased! I love the glass (all to this point are) but no way I can lift 6 gallons full. I have so many empty carboys right now 4 - 5 gallon 3 - 3 gallon and 3 - 1 gallon that I know hubby is going to shake his head when he sees this purchase arrive! Hard to hide a box that big dropped off by UPS and yes I know why are there so many empty ones??? I said the same thing after my last racking - gotta fill some of them!!

you should get a vacuum pump such as the all in one and there won;t be any reason to left full carboys.

Latest posts

Back