Prickly Pear Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, it's foaming up pretty good.

I didn't plan on taking my first reading until probably Saturday, unless it slows way down.
I just wanted to have it all planned out.

Smells a lot more grape like than I expected. Not completely sure how I feel about that. I trust everyone though.....just hoping the prickly pear isn't overwhelmed by grape.

jericurl, i have about 10 hydrometers..I stick it in the bucket, and leave it in the bucket until fermentation is done...I never remove it ...It just floats around all happy, and doing its job......
I hate cleaning everything all the time...so far, so good.

I stick it in the bucket, and leave it in the bucket until fermentation is done...I never remove it ...It just floats around all happy, and doing its job......

That is seriously genius.

As soon as this primary is done, I'm going to be starting a cheap Wine Expert kit that I picked up.
I think I'll be putting in an order for a few hydrometers and just do it your way.

eta: Also, I seriously underestimated the foam factor. I had the lid to my bucket just loosely laid on top of the primary to keep out contaminants. Walked in the kitchen to find the yeast foam holding the lid up by about an inch. Crap.
I've replaced it with a tea towel for now, but I'm not sure what else to put over the top of it to keep stuff out.

Last edited:
You'd think with all the reading I did, that would have been one detail I picked up on...

Looking good so far I think.
Lots and lots of activity with the yeast so I assume it's doing what it should.
All I can smell right now is grape so I'm hoping the prickly pear shines through when it's all said and done.

eta:
I used Lavlin EC 1118 yeast. Everything I've read made it sound like it would be hard to screw it up with wrong temperatures or acid, etc. I think next time I would like to try it with a different yeast to see what kind of difference it makes in taste.
Also, I've been stirring it once in the morning and then when I get home from work. I assume this is plenty of stirring, or does it need more?

Last edited:
Jeri,

Sounds like you are doing everything right so far.

For those of us that have never even seen a prickly pear, what do they taste like?

prickly pear kinda taste like a raspberry/watermelon mix.
a little tart. but very beautiful color.
the wine should be tasty, and color cant be matched.

It tastes a little like kiwi/watermelon hybrid to me. Depending on the plant, it can be really sweet or ugh, this needs sugar.
From what I am reading, they find places to grow in just about every country. They don't tolerate rain forest levels of rain, but that's about it.
The color of the fruit depends on the particular plant as well and they come in everything from green and yellow to red and purple.
The ones around here are day-glo magenta pink when juiced.
We saw some really small light pink ones last week, but I'm not sure if they just weren't ripe or if that is their actual color. We will be going out this weekend to check on them again. If they appear ripe, I may grab some just to compare.

Ok just stirred it.

SG is at 1.030 right now and there is much, much less foam on top.
Barely any foam at all. I stirred it up pretty vigorously.

So...wow.

I started this on Tuesday....
Should I let it go one more night and rack it to my secondary in the morning, or move it tonight?

sg.jpg

sg2.jpg

Also, my stoppers for the 6 gallon carboy are too small. By several sizes. Dammit.
I should have the correct size by Monday afternoon. I didn't think this would ferment this fast though...I thought I'd have at least a week.
If my SG is already this low, can I just leave it in the primary until Monday when I have everything to put it under airlock?
Should I put the lid on the bucket now and put an airlock on it? Wait? crap, I don't wanna flub this up.

If your fermenter has a lid that can be snapped close, do so and stick an airlock in it. The second option being xfer to glass and put a balloon or one finger from a rubber glove over the opening. Stick a hole in it with a needle. Either way will be fine until you get the needed supplies.

No, keep going! Really there are lots of ways to do this, my suggestions are just suggestions. Also you'll learn a lot just by going for it. If you want to juice them (steam or otherwise) that will make a wine. If you want to go whole fruit, that will too. I know it all sounds complicated, but either way really is not. Perfect wine doesn't exist, it's the striving that is important. I've made wines I really really like out of grocery store apple juice concentrates. Believe me, this will be good either way! Don't get discouraged.

Very well put.

RR

The rule of thumb that many winemakers follow is to avoid leaving dry or near-dry wine on the gross less for more than a week. By gross less, of course, I am referring the first batch of sediment consisting of the pulp from the fruit, bentonite, etc... If you can cover the primary tightly you can certainly afford to leave it until Monday. :h

eta: Also, I seriously underestimated the foam factor. I had the lid to my bucket just loosely laid on top of the primary to keep out contaminants. Walked in the kitchen to find the yeast foam holding the lid up by about an inch. Crap.
I've replaced it with a tea towel for now, but I'm not sure what else to put over the top of it to keep stuff out.

I just read this thread. I think this one will be made soon. Sounds interesting. I am going to read through the suggested post in the recipe section before I ask questions.

Any way, The foam factor. I snap the lid down then put a piece of tubing that is a snug fit in the 'air lock' hole in the lid of my primary. The other end of the tube goes into a jar to catch the run off. The real heavy foaming usually on goes on for a day or so. When the foaming slows you can loosen the lid and get back to stirring the must.

Any update pictures?

RR

Every time I catch up on this one I'm jealous, lol. I just finished my move though, and I think I need to start my search for this fruit if I am not too late! Hope all is going well.

If the stopper dilemma is not resolved, I would say transfer the wine and then maybe strap a latex glove on the top. Turn it inside out to keep from getting that dust inside, that could be yucky. But definitely order the stopper with overnight mail if need be.

Thanks guys.

I snapped the lid on last night, filled an airlock with vodka and put it on.
I am the clumsiest person in the world though....this morning, precoffee, I was stumbling to the coffeepot, stumbled and managed to catch myself by putting my hand on top of the lid. Probably half of the vodka in the airlock got pushed into the 6 gallons of wine. I realize it's probably only about a 1/3 shot of vodka, but still....

I checked the shipping information for my order and it's scheduled to be here tomorrow afternoon.
I will get some pictures when I'm racking it to the secondary then. It's still a dark purple color. I'm hoping it clears and keeps the bright magenta.

Not to worry, Jeri. You just fortified your wine a little :h
Top up your airlock and enjoy...

Latest posts

Back