What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made a yummy filet earlier this week, and forgot to take a photo. I seared 4 minutes per side in butter, in a heavy pan. Then baked in the same pan for 4 minutes at 400, and let rest 4 minutes. Perfect! Just sea salt and pepper.

Then tonight I made one-pan salmon filets with garlic lemon herb butter and asparagus. Turned out very well!
https://natashaskitchen.com/2017/06/09/one-pan-salmon-asparagus-recipe-video/

Did Paul's shared burger recipe tonight. Absolutely Perfect Burger and I have to say, it comes pretty close to living up to it's name. Made the Mayo/Ketchup/Pickle juice/Sriracha sauce mentioned and it was perfect, both on the burger and as a dipping sauce for some tater tots. I cheated and did them on the gas grill and not a cast iron pan. They were a big hit with the whole family.

IMG_5852.jpg

IMG_5854.jpg

IMG_5855.jpg

No, I am afraid the dishwasher in the family is also the vintner, and he is not so amazing. ;)

Didn't like the post because you are not amazing, liked the post because I am slowly re-assuming my role as the family dish washer (as well as full time cook and grocery shopper, lawn maintenance man, lunch packer, laundry dude etc, oh and most importantly vintner).

Sing it with me! "Italian night its been too long!" Spicy Italian snausage, pasta sauce over farfalle pasta with fresh mutz and fresh basil from the garden. This paired amazingly well with a 14' Kirkland Columbia Valley Merlot/Cab Sauv blend. I don't remember the first bottle tasting this good so perhaps a little time in the cellar really helped this wine. This stuff is off the charts definitely a 5 STAR QPR wine!

IMG_2612.jpg

Sing it with me! "Italian night its been too long!" Spicy Italian snausage, pasta sauce over farfalle pasta with fresh mutz and fresh basil from the garden. This paired amazingly well with a 14' Kirkland Columbia Valley Merlot/Cab Sauv blend. I don't remember the first bottle tasting this good so perhaps a little time in the cellar really helped this wine. This stuff is off the charts definitely a 5 STAR QPR wine!

I have a couple of those bottles in my cellar, bought them a few months ago, maybe time to give it a try :b

Been watching the Pork Butts all week at Smiths and today at lunch they put them down in the Yoo Hoo bin! :db Snagged 3 of them about 10lbs apiece for about $1.10lb. Two will go into the freezer for snausage this Fall. One is for tomorrow! This is going down tomorrow at 7:00AM!

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbzEa_juegs"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbzEa_juegs[/ame]

Well Mike; you kinda, sorta inspired me to to a long-ish cook. Was freezer diving earlier today and grabbed some chicken for a jerk dinner tonight. Realized I have a bone-in turkey breast in there from around the holidays. It's thawing now and I'll dunk it in an apple brine tomorrow afternoon for Sunday's dinner. With baseball games and birthday parties this weekend, an hour or two is about as much time as I'll have, so no pork butt for me, sadly.

Jerk chicken tonight. Also doing some simple pasta and a raspberry mango avocado salad. Should be good. Got a little Dave Matthews/Tim Reynolds Live at Radio City on, temps around 78 outside and life is good.

Sourdough Pancakes

A strange dinner, but I couldn't wait for Breakfast.

My sourdough starter, huckleberries, with Elderberry Syrup (jam that would not set), and Italian Sausage paste from another 10lb batch of 'the same' sausage links.

A Huge success. Breakfast, now, for a long long time coming...

Same, but waffles tomorrow morning...

SourdoughPancakes 001 (800x600).jpg

SourdoughPancakes 002 (800x600).jpg

SourdoughPancakes 003 (800x600).jpg

A strange dinner, but I couldn't wait for Breakfast.

My sourdough starter, huckleberries, with Elderberry Syrup (jam that would not set), and Italian Sausage paste from another 10lb batch of 'the same' sausage links.

A Huge success. Breakfast, now, for a long long time coming...

Same, but waffles tomorrow morning...

I'll take it. Twice. Maybe more.

Plated. Before and after. Jerk chicken w/ an avocado/raspberry/mango salad. A touch of cherry wood really darkened the chicken up. Ho-made raspberry dressing and 'plain' pasta. Love the jerk flavor profile and could eat it daily. Kids loved it too.

fullsizeoutput_3387.jpg

IMG_5869.jpg

Last edited:
I have a beef brisket in the sous vide machine for dinner tomorrow with a couple of friends. (I started it last night.) I opted for a low-temp preparation, because this was a flat-cut with not much intramuscular fat.

After that, I am having dinner for 8 on Tuesday, including a foodie whom I haven't had over before, and who wants to have something sous vide. I am thinking of pork shoulder, too, but haven't decided if that pushes all the right buttons. Maybe short ribs -- I want to impress this guy. Another possibility is to do things that are NOT low-and-slow, like rack of lamb and/or scallops. Decisions, decisions.... Thoughts/suggestions are welcome.

You meat gurus...

I have this beef loin flap meat steak, tips for cooking on the charcoal grill?

Direct heat on hot grill for about 5 minutes then flip and repeat and finally move to indirect heat?

This is for today’s lunch... I’m checking YouTube if I don’t see quick replies [emoji4]

IMG_1506169514.422029.jpg

Last edited:
Kinda hard to tell from the picture what the cut looks like. Flap meat is a prt of the Sirloin area IIRC.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2012/05/the-best-inexpensive-steak-for-the-grill-part-4-flap-meat-sirloin-tip.html

I would hit it hot and fast and pull at your preferred doneness temp. It may get tougher the longer you cook it so I would not over cook it.

You meat gurus...

I have this beef loin flap meat steak, tips for cooking on the charcoal grill?

Direct heat on hot grill for about 5 minutes then flip and repeat and finally move to indirect heat?

This is for today’s lunch... I’m checking YouTube if I don’t see quick replies [emoji4]

View attachment 39313

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcFXbphf_E4&feature=youtu.be"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcFXbphf_E4&feature=youtu.be[/ame]

Latest posts

Back