Vineco Over degassing?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Niagara

Junior
Reaction score
I am fairly new to wine making. I have been brewing wine and beer for about a year and a half now. I currently pull off 13 batches at a time and may have made a mistake . I am hoping some of u can shine some light on the situation.

I Just got a drill mounted wine whip. I added the clarifying agents as directed and used my new wine whip. I may have got over excited with my new toy and had it at full speed for about 5 min. It doesn't seem to be clearing as quick as it did as when I used to use a spoon. It is clearing but much slower. Have I done any damage?

The drill mounted wine whip should have told you not to run it at full speed. You have probablt agitated the wine, and added oxygen to it, rather than driving the CO2 out.

Personally, I use the drill stirrer run slowly to mix the additives, and the spoon to degas. And yes, it takews a awhile longer than 5 minutes.

Steve

I would add potassium metabisulfite ASAP to get any oxygen out of the wine, and next time don't run the drill at full speed.

When was the last time you added k-meta in??

If you have recently given it a good dose - I think you will be fine - just don't want you to over sulphite if you don't need to.

When was the last time you added k-meta in??

If you have recently given it a good dose - I think you will be fine - just don't want you to over sulphite if you don't need to.

I agree, don't add more than the instructions say. In the future, run drill in one direction until the wine starts flowing with it. Then reverse the drill and go the other direction and repeat. Try to prevent a vortex from forming; it can draw air down into the wine.

It will clear when it is ready, so don't worry about that. It will degas and clear a lot easier and faster if the temperature of the wine is at least about 72F.

I use the spoon to mix the clarifying agents (if I use them) and a vacuum pump to degas.

My experience is that gentler is always better. Time and patience are your allies.

I've found that after letting your wine age for about a year there's very little CO2 left in the wine.

Latest posts

Back