WineXpert Corn Sugar Or Table Sugar?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wines just fine

Reaction score
The Italian Amarone kit that I'm doing comes with 900g of corn sugar. The instructions state that you can substitute granulated table sugar instead.

What effect would this have on the wine?

Corn sugar is just easier for the yeast to eat but table sugar will work just fine.

The Italian Amarone kit that I'm doing comes with 900g of corn sugar. The instructions state that you can substitute granulated table sugar instead.

What effect would this have on the wine?

I'm curious what kit you have that comes with sugar - I've not heard of one before. I would think this would throw it way out of balance. Can you give more details?
.. Doug

I'm curious what kit you have that comes with sugar - I've not heard of one before. I would think this would throw it way out of balance. Can you give more details?
.. Doug

This process is known as chaptalisation. It is used when making high alcohol wines such as port wines. It is easier for the yeast to break down the sugar when it isn't all added at once. Therefore more sugar is added after the initial fermentation is started.

The kit I am doing will produce a wine with 15% ABV and yes it will be in balance. :db:d

OK, I hadn't considered this process when I read your thread - I narrowly thought of just primary fermentation and that didn't add up. I'm not familiar with the details of this process for kits ( thought it was mainly for juice or grapes where you had to balance). Do you wait until fermentation is well under way and gradually add the sugar?
I'm also still curious of the kit brand that uses this process.
Thanks . Doug

The kit I am doing now is the WE Selection International Italian Amarone. I did another kit a few months ago (Chocolate Raspberry Port) which also used this technique.

Thise kits called for the additional sugar pack to be added 5-7 days after you start the primary fermentation. You then leave it in the primary for another 5-7 days.

This process is also used when making wine with grapes that do not have enough sugar content.

I did not know there was another kit designed like this, I hope it doesnt have the same problems fermenting as the port kit does as you surely wouldnt want this kit getting stuck sweet as the port kit does!!!!!!!!!!

I had no problem fermenting the port kit and, so far, everything is going according to Hoyle on this one too. :h :h

Show off! LOL

I'm going to try to get my port kit into a primary fermenter this weekend. Hopefully I'll have the same experience you did.

Latest posts

Back