fruit press

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe Callow

Reaction score
How many of you use a fruit press? Last year I feebly made one of my own with 50lb dumbell. Worked great, but I was worn out. Is it better than freezing in regards to small batches?

Freezing is the way to go.
The freezing breaks down the cellular walls. So, thawed, you add pectic enzyme and that will extract the juices. Another option is to Steam juice the frozen fruit. When using fresh / frozen fruit its advised to put them in a straining bag.

I do both but really made my press due to making wine from grapes now.

Freezing is the way to go.
The freezing breaks down the cellular walls. So, thawed, you add pectic enzyme and that will extract the juices. Another option is to Steam juice the frozen fruit. When using fresh / frozen fruit its advised to put them in a straining bag.

A second here for steam juicing ... elderberry, banana and cherry done so far. This is the way I'll be doing my frsh harvests from now on.

A friend of mine has done strawberry with his as well - it's all good!

The best part is being able to stick the jars on the shelf to use off-season. A great way to spread the ferments out throughout the year.

Tom and Luc were right on!!!! ;-)

It would help let the pectic enzyme get in there better but if you arent making a huge batch you can just throw it all in a fermenting bag and just squash it with your hands and then press when taking the bag out.

I press my grapes - and this year i made an apple spice wine and i pressed the apples.

I also made a strawberry wine - i just froze those and thawed them out. That pretty much juiced them enough - i did like wade said - had squeezed the bag to get any extra juice out.

Not much left to squeeze with certain fruit like Strawberries after they are done, pretty much just a pile of mush. Some fruit you wouldnt want to press like Peach as it would just squeeze pulp out into your wine and make much more of a mess.

Latest posts

Back