Summertime boils

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you add whirlfloc @15 boil?
Or cold crash prior to bottling?

But really, who needs beer to be clear in order to drink?

I don't know if you are aware of this, but Irish moss has tested as a carcinogen. I avoid it at all costs.

I always use Brewer's Clarity (Clarity Ferm) as my clearing agent. It also makes the beer so low in gluten that it is gluten free by US government standards. My wife and I are both gluten sensitive. It is amazing how much difference it makes in how we feel the next day. Because of the size of the batches this time, I may have used slightly less of it than I should have.

I always cold crash, but after bottle conditioning. It is a favorite method.

I theorize that it is because of the sugar in the recipe that it has not cleared as well as I like. This is my first time with adjuncts. Also, the yeast has not compacted at the bottom of the bottle as well as prior batches this time, so there is a probability of dispersion on pouring. I plan to test this by leaving more in the bottle on the next pour and checking clarity then.

Both taste fine.

Last edited:
I don't know if you are aware of this, but Irish moss has tested as a carcinogen. I avoid it at all costs.

I always use Brewer's Clarity (Clarity Ferm) as my clearing agent. It also makes the beer so low in gluten that it is gluten free by US government standards. My wife and I are both gluten sensitive. It is amazing how much difference it makes in how we feel the next day. Because of the size of the batches this time, I may have used slightly less of it than I should have.

I always cold crash, but after bottle conditioning. It is a favorite method.

I theorize that it is because of the sugar in the recipe that it has not cleared as well as I like. This is my first time with adjuncts. Also, the yeast has not compacted at the bottom of the bottle as well as prior batches this time, so there is a probability of dispersion on pouring. I plan to test this by leaving more in the bottle on the next pour and checking clarity then.

Both taste fine.

Jim...I cold crashed my SMASH and it was the clearest beer I have ever bottled...my first cold crash too. I really liked using the freezer as a fermenting chamber, yeast seemed very happy...ZERO off flavors. Simple matter to crank the temp down to 33 and cold crash for 3-4 days. Clear, clean beer no sweat.

Have Speckled Cow clone in there now, seems very happy at about 63 degrees in my 100 degree shop. I see a freezer in your future.

Seriously thinking of doing my Old Vine Zin in the chamber and going low end temp for a longer period of time.

I see a freezer in your future.

I cold crash wine and beer in my farm shop's side by side fridge. After carbing the beer bottles usually reside in a 1960s era Coke chest cooler at about 38 degrees (best $25 I ever spent). Always been clear up to now, but I always made full malt recipes before and I always used 5 gallon finished batches for the measured amount of Clarity Ferm. Also not all these bottles made it there first, so I may have used two that were just sitting, now that I think of it.

To be real honest about it, right now I see a lot less home brew in my future, once my supply stockpile is used up. Time will tell.

Jim...I say the same thing, but the beer keeps disappearing anyway! I may drink 3-4 beers a month, but it gets gone! I didn't think my wife would like the SMASH, but she loves it...more empty bottles to fill.
Local vet had me order the clone I'm working now...he pays, we split it. Will be making two Porters, same deal, different guy.

Turns out those bottles had not been through the Coke cooler yet. Got to get them loaded up.

Latest posts

Back