I think its time to give up

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

longhaul

Reaction score
I have had my SP fermenting now for 18 days and I can't get it below 1.020 and now its getting a strong smell and no foam on top. I guess I will have to try again

Did you ever raise the temps? Did you rack from pail to carboy or are you still in pail? And do you have any yeast energizer? And are you still fermenting?

It is still in the fermenter and yes the temp has been raised. I did put more yeast in it a week ago and I put Energizer and nutreint in it. I used the original sp recipe.

It is still in the fermenter and yes the temp has been raised. I did put more yeast in it a week ago and I put Energizer and nutreint in it. I used the original sp recipe.

The smell may be the yeast being added at a high enough abv that they could not make it. If your still fermenting rack it into carboy( leaving the sediment behind), and add a little energizer to pep them up ,and let finish the process. When it finishes out stabilize, wait a week to make sure fermentation is done, then proceed with process,( bulk a month or bottle). This is what I have done someone else may have a better idea. As long as your fermenting I would throw out.

Yeah I'm thinking of throwing it out!!! Clean everything up and start over. I followed the recipe and added the water and sugar and heated it up then added to fermenter, is this what you do or do you just and the sugar and wait 24 hours before you add yeast

when you say fermenter, is this a bucket or a carboy? And have you been stirring the must?

it's still in the bucket. i'm using a hydrometer

if you have the lid snapped down, loosen in and stir it a couple times a time, briskly! Lemon can be pretty tough to ferment and needs a good bit of ozygen to make sure it ferments.

Yes, I agree this is why I like to rack Early on the skeeter pee. It introduces lots of new oxygen and by getting it off the gross lees, freshens every thing up, adding a little energizer and mine seem do well. Always finishes like a champ.

Tnuscan, I am stirring the must at least once a day when I work and 3 times a day when I'm off. I had the lid just lying on the bucket with a towel over top till tonight when I got home and put the lid on tight. I stirred it up real good and snapped the lid back on and it's bubbling about a count of 10 or 11

Tnuscan, I am stirring the must at least once a day when I work and 3 times a day when I'm off. I had the lid just lying on the bucket with a towel over top till tonight when I got home and put the lid on tight. I stirred it up real good and snapped the lid back on and it's bubbling about a count of 10 or 11

Awesome! You're doing fine sounds like 3 to 5 days maybe until finishing.

Last edited:
Yes I do, I was waiting for the SG to go down so I can rack it over

I usually rack to carboy around 1.010 or so and let finish. I've had a few to finish in the fermenting pail by accident. The outside temps were in the upper 90's, the inside temps were 76deg. It finished in a week from pitching yeast. Never figured that one out to my satisfaction. They made nice wine though.

You mentioned a smell, there's times when you'll smell a little sulfur while fermenting, especially with a lid covering the pail. And this one does have a little bit of lemon(Pee) in it. Those darn skeeters a peein and all that. This will generally pass in a day or so. I use a 5 gallon paint strainer with 2 large rubber bands, over the open top, and lay a towel over it. It breathes better and no condensation, like the lid. I have a little activity around mine, (nosey pet) this gives me added security the towel won't get into the must or wine. Everyone has their preference.

Keep everything clean and sanitized, follow the instructions, have fun...

Never give up, hit this forum first.

I usually rack to carboy around 1.010 or so and let finish. I've had a few to finish in the fermenting pail by accident. The outside temps were in the upper 90's, the inside temps were 76deg. It finished in a week from pitching yeast. Never figured that one out to my satisfaction. They made nice wine though.

You mentioned a smell, there's times when you'll smell a little sulfur while fermenting, especially with a lid covering the pail. And this one does have a little bit of lemon(Pee) in it. Those darn skeeters a peein and all that. This will generally pass in a day or so. I use a 5 gallon paint strainer with 2 large rubber bands, over the open top, and lay a towel over it. It breathes better and no condensation, like the lid. I have a little activity around mine, (nosey pet) this gives me added security the towel won't get into the must or wine. Everyone has their preference.

Keep everything clean and sanitized, follow the instructions, have fun...

Never give up, hit this forum first.
I want to thank you and everyone who did give me some good advise. I left it go and my SG did drop under 1.10 and I racked it to my carboy tonight and it is still bubbling, just not quite as much. with my wine kit I followed that to a Tee and it seems to be fine. I guess I just need to wait a little longer with the SP. I don't care as long as it turns out like everyone raves about, my friends and wife will enjoy this as much as me!!!!!!I can see people sleeping on the pool deck now

Back