PH Test done, now what?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forest813

Junior
Reaction score
I have 4 carboys of unpasteurized grape juice that started fermentation in mid to end of September. No yeast was used. I've been making wine for a few years without any testing equipment but just last week I acquired a pH tester and used it today to test my wine. The reading show a pH of 3.9 for muscat, 3.92 for burgandy, 4.07 for merlot and 3.95 for cabernet sauv. I've read that tartaric acid can reduce the pH but should be added prior to fermentation. Can I add it now since fermentation is completed? The recommended amount to add was listed at 1 g/L of wine to reduce the pH by 0.1 unit before the start of fermentation and 2 g/L if the wine is cold stabilized? What are your thoughts and recommendations as to what I should do?

acid can be added post fermentation. however a taste test is better than measurement. develop a solution of 10 grams of a tartaric acid and 100ml of water.

establish sample of wine in 100ml batches. add 1ml to first , 2ml of solution to second and so on. due taste tests. 1ml is equal to 1g/l in large batch. add required amount based on taste tests.

acid can be added post fermentation. however a taste test is better than measurement. develop a solution of 10 grams of a tartaric acid and 100ml of water.

establish sample of wine in 100ml batches. add 1ml to first , 2ml of solution to second and so on. due taste tests. 1ml is equal to 1g/l in large batch. add required amount based on taste tests.

I may end up doing something like this for my Petite Syrah with a PH=3.89

I also agree with them, but would advise that you adjust your SO2 by adding the appropriate amount of kmeta.

The higher the PH the more vulnerable (to oxidation and/or microbal issues) your wine becomes. This can be compensated for by adding the appropriate amount of kmeta. I use the following chart ...

For example, if your Cab Sav is 3.95, you should maintain between 62 and 98 ppm of SO2.

Untitled.jpg

Back