How did you find our forum?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How did you hear about this forum?

• Total voters
Hello. I just did a search for wine something or other and this site popped up. On the first results page; way to go webmaster. Do they still call them webmaster, or am I showing my age?
I bought a wine making kit (because I needed to find a hobby) and was looking for some info to boost my confidence in the process.
Thank you for existing and providing such great personal experiences from a myriad of people. It helps a lot for the gnu B.

Hello. I just did a search for wine something or other and this site popped up. On the first results page; way to go webmaster. Do they still call them webmaster, or am I showing my age?
I bought a wine making kit (because I needed to find a hobby) and was looking for some info to boost my confidence in the process.
Thank you for existing and providing such great personal experiences from a myriad of people. It helps a lot for the gnu B.
Welcome aboard, John.

Just to set your mind at ease, when I started I was very worried I was going to mess things up, and I did. That messed up wine tastes great, though. 😉

Luckily for me (well, all of us) wine is very forgiving. I was even worried that my kit wasn't going to taste exactly as it should because I got something wrong. The really neat thing about wine is that you can make it what you want it to be. The kit maker doesn't know my tastes, how are they going to make a wine just how I like it. You can make adjustments to make it taste how you like. Likely as you get experience you will be more comfortable with doing that, but if it doesn't turn out exactly as you had hoped, you can adjust things.

Wine kits are designed for the completely uninitiated to be successful. The techniques and instructions are designed to save us from ourselves..

Don't stress, have fun. Your wine will turn out great.

There is a 3 month sweet spot where a kit really starts to come together. Many here go longer, some much longer, but you will enjoy the rewards of a little patience. Follow the kit instructions and expect a good wine 3 months after the 4-6 week kit time. It will be drinkable at the bottling date, but it will be good with some extra time.

If anything comes up, ask away. Everyone is happy to help!

Thank you, Vinny, for the warm welcome and the encouraging words. I do appreciate them.

Yeah, I am going to do exactly as the kit states this first time to get my wine legs. I have a vinter's log and am writing all the steps and ingredients down along with dates and anything I feel is relevant/ pertinent.

I am not stressing, just moseying along at the wine/yeasts pace.

I did buy a printer today to make bottle labels. I have found in the past that I can get down a rabbit hole fast when dealing with graphics and design, but it lets my creative side out to play. Isn't that what a hobby is for? I have already been trolling the label forums here to see what might work for me.

I am making this kit to have commemorative bottles of wine for my mom's 80th birthday. The family is getting together to celebrate and I thought this would be a nice gift for everyone to take home. I should have started the kit earlier as the wine will be in the bottles only 1.5 months when the event occurs. Live and learn. I will open one there and tell them to wait another 2 months before they enjoy it at home. Thanks for the insight about the three month wait to drink.

Have a great weekend.

Was recommended I join this site through homebrew talk. Though I'm primarily concerned with wine I've never encountered this site weirdly.

Latest posts

Back