F-Pack from frozen fruit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

g8keeper

Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Ok, well like I said before, I am not new to wine making, but have been out of the loop for awhile, and I do have experience making an f-pack from juice, but this is the first time I am planning on making one from real fruit. I hope this doesn't sound like a dumb question, but just following a path of logic from what I can see. Considering when making wine from fruit, we add pectic enzyme, and, well, an f-pack is going into a batch of wine, shouldn't it follow that when making the f-pack from fruit instead of juice, I should probably add pectic enzyme to the fruit whne simmering to make my f-pack, if only to ensure there is no chance of a pectin haze developing prior to bottling? This f-pack will be going into a batch of fruit flavored skeeter pee, but considering sp making pretty much follows the same guidelines as wine making, I just figured what's good for regular wine would translate to sp. Am I correct, or flawed in my logic? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

JMO, but I think juice is a better choice. At the stage that you add the f-pack, you should already have a clear, stable wine. Fruit might mess that up.

I added concentrated apple/raspberry juice as a f-pac to a batch and ended up with a hazy gooey substance in the bottom of my bottles after a few weeks. The wine tastes fine. I just dont drink the last 3-4 ounces.

I'm assuming I should have added some pectic enzyme to the concentrate before adding to my SP to break up the pectin. Apple has a lot of pectin so other juices may not have this issue, but it probably wouldnt hurt to add it and let it work before adding to your batch.

Pectic enzyme is probably a good idea, although i would wait until you're done simmering - i dont know if the heat would affect the pectic enzyme at all but i wouldnt wanna chance it & have to re-dose the f-pack or wine itself.

Maybe hit it with a pinch of kmeta for protection & let it sit in an empty 2-liter soda bottle or something to settle for a while before actually adding it to the SP in question

Latest posts

Back