Leftover wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larryh86GT

Reaction score
This morning I opened the fridge and realized I was running out of room on the top shelf which was filling up with various glasses of left over wine from recently made batches - a few batches of raspberry and a batch of plum. I put them all in a magnum and sweetened it just a bit. It tastes pretty good, won't last long, and frees up some needed space on the top shelf.

Larry

Leftover wine P 9 21 10 010.jpg

What is left over wine?
Is this a new variety?
How is that made?
:sm
I think you need to do more of :dg:dg

Ok, maybe I should clarify this. Leftover wine may not have been the correct or best term to use. This is not wine leftover in bottles, it's wine leftover (there's that word again) from the lees of my batches settling out in glasses in the fridge. In the photo in the beginning of this thread there are 2 glasses of "leftover wine" in the settling out stage from my last batch.

Cheers
Larry

Back in the mid 19th century, bars in New York City never wasted anything. When a table was cleared, the remainder in the used glasses were simply dumped into a cask sitting on the bar labeled "All Sorts". Poor people could then pay (i believe 5 cents) for a 6 second "chug" off of the cask.

Please do not be insulted. I do not mean that you have discarded drinks in your fridge. This is just the image that entered my sick mind:)

Nah, not feeling insulted. Just trying to dissipate the shock being encountered by some forum members with the term " leftover wine". The concept was just too strange for them and I feared counseling might have been needed if I hadn't explained myself a bit more. I did not intent to harm anyone in the making of this thread. :D

Larry, you are too funny! I enjoy my leftovers and my skeeter pees as the other stuff ages. The door of my fridge looks like that!

i've had a couple myself, lol, but did drink them eventually.
i think lon needs to give us more info on the homemade vinegar.

i think lon needs to give us more info on the homemade vinegar.

Actually, I'm a vinegar newbie. Looking for expertise myself. What I have is "left-over wine" put into a glass gallon pickle jar, covered with cheesecloth and rubber band. Added a bottle of unfiltered organic vinegar (found in health food section of grocery store) that contains the "mother". Left it in the dark for about a month and then filtered some of it through a coffee filter. Tasted it, very good, and MUCH MUCH more flavorful than the cheap jugs of vinegar I usually buy.

What I don't know:
1. Can I mix all kinds of wine together in this jar of working vinegar?
2. Can I make good vinegar from wine I don't really like? (e.g.dandelion)
3. Do sulfites or sorbate have an effect on the critters that make vinegar?
4. When I rack, there is usually that wine at the bottom that goes to waste. Can I pour it into a smaller bottle, let it settle out again and add it to my vinegar pot even if it isn't crystal clear?
5. Will a high alcohol wine be too strong for the critters and will it kill the mother?

help_wht.gif

Latest posts

Back