Cellar Craft I think I just made a big mistake

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

btmcdavid

Junior
Reaction score
just started a cellar craft showecase zinfandel kit. after 23 liters and waiting a few hours the SG was at 1.122! I figured way to high for fermentation to have a chance to get to dry. So I added two more liters of water and dropped it to 1.100.

Now I feel like that was a mistake. even though my SG's where I want it did I just turn this batch into a thin watery inferior wine? Don't really want to go through all the effort of making it if its going to turn out poorly. I essentially have a primary fermenter full of 25L of juice at this point.

if you specific gravity measurement is correct then you should be okay. errors in a kit measurement can occur if concentrate and water are not mixed well. the concentrate tends to layer giving erroneous readings. stir very very well and check gravity, verify hydrometer is correct. if all of these give same sg should be okay. if not add some sugar to increase sg to proper level and add some raisin to give wine body then ferment.

Salcoco gave you great advice. The grape juice and water don't naturally mix, so some good stirring is required when you put them together. If you took the SG from a layer of concentrate then you would have been off. I've never made that kit, but in the ones I have made I haven't seen an initial SG that high.

I just checked again this morning an hour after a good stirring and I'm at 1.098 so I thing it right. Makes me feel a bit better. Still worried though with just the thought of adding 2 extra liters to a kit. Never used raisins that have not come with the kit before. Should I do that anyway, if so what kind and how much?

raisin are dried grapes. it like making you own grape pack. Take about a pound of red raisin, shop them up and add. they may add a little sugar but that will balance out. the raisins will give you some body and tannin. you can also add about a healf cup of oak chips to help with tannin.

Latest posts

Back