Why do you make wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Why do you make wine?

• It's a fun hobby

Votes: 75 78.1%
  • To save money

Votes: 35 36.5%
  • Family or cultural tradition

Votes: 10 10.4%
  • I want to make more natural / organic wines

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • I love the scientific process

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • It's a good social activity

Votes: 19 19.8%
  • I'm interested in making the best quality wine I can

Votes: 43 44.8%
  • I enjoy DIY projects

Votes: 39 40.6%
  • To be self-sufficient

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other

Votes: 24 25.0%

• Total voters
Of course I was. My mom thought originally that that was the only reason I was starting this hobby, now she enjoys the fruits of my fermenter. Granted, I drink more than I should but not "Raging"ly so.

I would venture to guess that the overwhelming majority of members here drink more than your average (insert country of domicile here). I would also venture to guess that the overwhelming majority of members here do NOT have a "problem" with drinking.

Boatboy, I agree. I know I don't have a drinking problem because I haven't spilled any or drooled down my chin in a long time.

I would venture to guess that the overwhelming majority of members here drink more than your average (insert country of domicile here). I would also venture to guess that the overwhelming majority of members here do NOT have a "problem" with drinking.

I tend to drink more wine, now that I make it.
I tend to finish a bottle once it is opened, since it does not seems to be as good the next day.
Not to mention SP & DB chilled and by the pool what summer was invented for!

before all this, it was just a few beers and a whiskey.
I am not a drunk, but I am a classier drinker now a days!

I agree it's a fun hobby and I like the science involved. But the reason I began making wine and one that remains a major reason I continue is the chance to learn a lot more about wine. The latter is my "Other".

I have learned a lot and continue to do so.

NS

Great to hear people's views... for me, it's mostly about wanting to learn by doing.. I love drinking wine so the next step for me is getting to know it better! I would have liked to put more options in the poll (like, making it to give it away, making it with the plan to sell commercially, being a raging alcoholic) but was limited to 10.

I didn't know we could choose more than one thing so I just voted "other". Actually I don't drink, I just started to make wine because a close friend told me I needed to learn more patience and if you don't have patience you can't make wine. Don't get me wrong I do taste my wine you have to do that when making it. but 99.5% of my wine will be given away.

I didn't know we could choose more than one thing so I just voted "other". Actually I don't drink, I just started to make wine because a close friend told me I needed to learn more patience and if you don't have patience you can't make wine. Don't get me wrong I do taste my wine you have to do that when making it. but 99.5% of my wine will be given away.

A winemaker who doesn't drink ... such noble selflessness is to be applauded! :try

I got a beer home brew kit for my 18th birthday. I made one batch then gave up because I wasn't really interested ... I only wanted beer to get drunk on & making it myself seemed more trouble than it was worth. Nowadays I actually (a) appreciate the quality of booze, and (b) see the virtues in making something myself (even if I could just go out and buy it instead)..

Now I just wish I hadn't wasted all those years NOT brewing or fermenting!

Last edited:
One of the benefits that I did not forsee in this hobby is that it has opened my eyes (and mouth) to the enjoyment of varietals I'd never even heard of or thought to try before. Torrontes? Who knew? Monastrell? Not a clue! I've read wine descriptions with great interest that I previously wouldn't have paid any attention to. And they have piqued my interest enough that I'd go out and buy a bottle. Next thing I know, I'm making it. I think the hobby has also greatly enhanced my pallete. In just two short years, I think I have a much greater sense of what is good and bad about a wine, in addition to knowing what certain varietals should taste like. And as a result of having so many different options in the cellar, my pairing abilities have increased dramatically.

So many benefits. How could you not want to make wine!!??

I have childhood memories of my father making wine and by maternal grandfather making wine so it has become a family tradition for me. My wife and I both love wine and visit as many wineries and vineyards as possible and our dream is to have a very small winery. So, add up family tradition, a desire to have a winery, a need to have a real hobby and a DIY spirit and you get an aspiring wine maker.

Of course I was. My mom thought originally that that was the only reason I was starting this hobby, now she enjoys the fruits of my fermenter. Granted, I drink more than I should but not "Raging"ly so.

Ok, Great to hear.

This is a fun hobby and (for me) is a family tradition dating back 10 generations or so.

I hate to think that this forum helps to destroy rather then enhance the lives of the members here. There have been cases where we had new member sign on and explain how they have a problem (openly admitting to it) and wanted a cheap way to feed their addiction. I remember a post asking about "sugar wine". I worry about these people and, thankfully, the moderators usually step in.

I started making wine because it was something I always wanted to try ever since tasting a friend's Elderberry years ago. I strive to make the best wine I can and always looking for improvement. It's a great hobby to have and look at all the friends I've met on WMT>..

I love the hobby and the process. To early to see the faces of other people when you tell them it's home made. My father was big into wine making in South America. I am on several lists for colt wineries in California and it gets very very expensive. So this is also better in order to have a huge stock for a lower price

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

flat,550x550,075,f.jpg

Jim, not sure what you're putting in your wine but will you share? :)

Why do you make wine?
It's a fun hobby
I love the scientific process
It's a good social activity
I'm interested in making the best quality wine I can

Well I didn't have any ancestors that made wine and I didn't drink it before I started making it. I still don't drink much. I love the hobby and process. I enjoy learning more and more about wine itself. Now I'm very interested in what's happening in the vineyards around the world in regards to harvest. Above all, is all the new friends I have first on this forum and now out in the world as I go to Trade Shows, competitions, workshops and conferences.

At least she doesn't have writing on her face, or her eyebrows shaved off! :i

That's right BB, Jim has a perfectly passed out (daughter or niece), and did not mess with her at all????

Come on Jimbo, you could of at least decorated her before you snapped the picture.

Latest posts

Back