Why do you make wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Why do you make wine?

• It's a fun hobby

Votes: 75 78.1%
  • To save money

Votes: 35 36.5%
  • Family or cultural tradition

Votes: 10 10.4%
  • I want to make more natural / organic wines

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • I love the scientific process

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • It's a good social activity

Votes: 19 19.8%
  • I'm interested in making the best quality wine I can

Votes: 43 44.8%
  • I enjoy DIY projects

Votes: 39 40.6%
  • To be self-sufficient

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other

Votes: 24 25.0%

• Total voters

REDRUM

Vinthropologist
Reaction score
Hi all, I thought I would ask the simple question: what is it that draws you to making wine? Just seems like there's such a diverse group of people on this forum, everyone's probably got different reasons for making their own wine! Is it because your grandfather did it and you want to keep up the family tradition? Is it because you don't want to pay for what you can make yourself? Etc....

I've added a poll, vote for as many options as you feel are relevant to your own situation!

(PS I put this here because it's not about the technical aspects of winemaking, but please move if it would be better off elsewhere) :ib

Last edited:
Along with 3 of the defined choices I also voted in "Other". My "Other" vote includes both the ability to gift/share with family and friends something I've made and also, in part, to fill extra time in my retirement.

Last edited:
It was difficult for me to pick just one reason, so I chose "family or cultural tradition." More clearly stated, "It is a family or cultural tradition for many, if not all, of the other reasons."

I was able to select multiple options.

Saving $$ is always good.
It's a fun hobby
I enjoy DIY projects
I want to make the best wine I can
I enjoy giving wine to others who enjoy wine

And one nobody has mentioned yet (though it is assumed): I like to DRINK wine, and making it enables that. :D

Last edited:
Glad that I was not limited to just one response.

I voted, Family tradition, great social activity, and making the best wine I can. All of these are true...

I come from along line of winemakers. I still have family operating the same very small winery in Hungary that dates back to the late 18th century.

My father lost ownership during the war, and it is a long story, but it was left to some cousins and we are still in touch. I have been to the winery several times and always had a ball. The grape harvest was always a time for friends and family to get together in much the same way one might do for Christmas or Thanksgiving. To the joy of my family, I continue this tradition.

Making the best wine I can is simply a matter of pride.

I also voted other because being of Italian decent I feel as though it's part of my heritage, in the genes so to speak. My wife also accuses me of being borderline OCD having to do every thing myself whether it's working on the house, the cars, the yard etc.. I guess I'm more addicted to the sense of accomplishment than anything else. It's just so great when someone admires your work or what you've done or been able to produce. I'm also intrigued now that I've started this as to the different things wine can be made from. When I started, I set out to make an every day table wine similar the the homemade Italian wines I remember when I was younger, now I'm experimenting with all different types of things and looking to make better quality wines. This is just a very rewarding pastime in so many ways. :h

I voted for a fun hobby, I like diy aspect and other. For other I like the personal feeling of having the holidays with all home made wines. It was a great feling this past holiday feeling. Also my wife gave a few bottles to co-workers this past Christmas. One of the them texted her Christmas nite telling her how nice it was. bakervinyard

It's a fun hobby
I enjoy DIY projects

And one nobody has mentioned yet (though it is assumed): I like to DRINK wine, and making it enables that. :D
All of the above for me too!

Made my first wine because we had a tremendous wild blackberry crop and we were looking to make something other than pies and jam so we did brandy and homemade wine. I have 4 different fruit wines totaling 21 gal fermenting right now. I like wine but mostly doing it as a hobby/science project. Looking forward to sharing bottles with family and friends.

First of all I like to drink wine.
Second my grandfather made wine, and we still have that small property where once wine was made, so I wanted to revive that tradition.
Third I figured out that I enjoy working in the garden. So why not produce something I enjoy (see Point 1 ;)).

It's a fun hobby
I enjoy DIY projects

My exact responses.

Raging alcoholic stay-at-homer on a tight budget who needs a hobby and DIYs anything she can.

That's a hella sentence.

Its very satisfying making wine that i can share with family and friends. My significant other and I love a glass in the evening. It's also priceless to see the look on faces when you tell people its not store bought. I'm basically cheap so if I couldn't make it we would most likely not consume it. So many things to try and so little time.

cheers

It's also priceless to see the look on faces when you tell people its not store bought.

I do enjoy that as well. People are catching on though and are starting to ask BEFORE they try wine I serve. :ft

My hubby and I make all our wine together its a great togetherness project that doesnt ever talk back or forget its homework. Also, We like better wine more often than we can afford, and its so fun to do it together. Plus it's super cool to be doing something essentially the same way people have Been doing this over millennia. It makes me feel like I'm part of the fabric of humanity in that way.

I am worried about you jojabri. Please tell me you were kidding about being a raging alcoholic.

Of course I was. My mom thought originally that that was the only reason I was starting this hobby, now she enjoys the fruits of my fermenter. Granted, I drink more than I should but not "Raging"ly so.

Latest posts

Back