Wanting To Try Mead

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Many thanks Masta

That answered my question really good , I have a friend that clames my dark honey is better in his B-B-Q sauce than any he tried

Harry

Oh man! Now I have to study!
smiley19.gif
Will the test be available on line all day? I sure hope so!

This is great information, Scott! We are fortunate that we buy honey from the honey man in our neighborhood, and he has a couple of varieties. I think this is info suitable for printing and adding to our manual!
smiley32.gif
Thanks for all the great work!

Well, I racked my Meads yesterday morning, They were actually tasting pretty danged good. I stabilized them with Campden and Sorbate, degassed them and now they are in a huge ice chest in my storage building with some other gallon batches to bulk age through the winter. The gallon carboy on the right is the Apple wine I made using the AppleCider I got fromWal-Mart

2005-12-24_033116_MEADS.jpg

Joes Ancient Martina....I kept them inside and hopefully might have a taste of them on New Years day. Edited by: Waldo

Well, it was finally Mead bottling time today at The Cats Meow Winery. Not sure exactly how it should look but appeared to be quite clear to me. At least there was no further sediment in the jugs since my last racking in December.

2006-03-26_174729_mead_in_bottle.jpg

2006-03-26_174915_mead_in_bottle_closeup2.JPG

The mead was very smooth, retained the honey flavor and I even got to use my floor corker for the first time.

2006-03-26_174959_corking_mead3.jpg

2006-03-26_175328_corking_mead4.JPG

I think I was punching the corks in a little too far but I guess that will not matter. Hope not anyway. Will have to play with the adjustment a little to get it right. Here is the label I designed for the Mead. I named itafter my Daughter who initiated this batch to begin with.

2006-03-26_180143_mead_label2.jpg

My daughter will finally fulfill her need, to try some of Daddys Mead.

2006-03-26_180223_mead_with_labels.jpg

Thank you Masta for all of your help in getting me going on my first attempt at Mead.

Waldo

Man that mead looks really good. And your label is very Good.

Keep up the good work

Harry

Looking great Waldo and glad it worked out well...Sherrie should be pleased with her daddy's mead! I bottled 3 batches of mead myself yesterday but they all are young and need much more time in the cellar.

I would definitely adjust your corker so the top of the cork is almost even or slightly below the top of the bottle. The reason I say this is that some bottles have a short neck so you could lose some the sealing surface if the cork is down too low. Depending on what type of cork screw youuseyou also run the risk of pushing the cork into the bottle when trying to open.

Back