OFF TOPIC - STARTING SEEDS

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorthernWinos

Reaction score
2006-02-26_101652_offtopic.gif

Sorry, I started a post and it just disappeared....figured I'd do it later....One of those computer mysteries???? Will get to it now..maybe...?Edited by: Northern Winos

Okay, here is the Off Topic... thought if it might help anyone plant a few seeds it might be worth posting...
smiley1.gif

We all like to buy plants in the spring, and it can get pretty pricey if you like lots of flowers or veggie plants...so let's all try to grow some flowers from seeds.

GATHER THE SUPPLIES....

2006-02-26_153341_gather_seeds_&_supplies.jpg

Seeds, seed starting soil mix, fine vermiculite, labeling material, pen, log book, plastic pots and trays [washed]. There will be a few other things you need along the way.

READ THE SEED PACKETS....

2006-02-26_153503_examine_seeds.jpg

You'll notice that some seeds require light to germinate [those would be the very fine seeds] so they stay on top of the soil. Other larger seeds need to get covered with soil, the seed packets often give you directions. Some seeds require to be frozen or soaked in water before they will germinate to break dormancy, so try to buy seeds with good planting instructions...this really helps.
Many seeds you can save off your own plants...that's the good part...free is good!!!

FILL A SMALL POT WITH YOUR POTTING MIX...

2006-02-26_153633_fill_with_mix.jpg

Use a soiless mix, preferably one for starting seeds, it is light and airy, and clean, meaning weed free.

COVER THE SOIL WITH A LAYER OF FINE VERMICULITE....

2006-02-26_153732_top_with_fine_perlite.jpg

This is a sterile product that holds moisture, it will be the only thing that your seeds will come in contact with.
*Much like wine making, having a sterile atmosphere is important for baby seedlings....this is often the cause of seed starting failure.

MOISTEN THE TRAYS FROM THE BOTTOM...

2006-02-26_153845_moisten_from_bottom.jpg

Always water your trays from the bottom, you don't want to disturb the seeds or seedlings.

TIME TO SOW YOUR SEEDS....

2006-02-26_153943_home_saved_seeds.jpg

These are some home-saved seeds...pick them in the fall, store in a paper bag or envelope, thrash the seeds, if they are this fine, then run them through a screen sieve.
The fine seeds are sprinkled on top of your planting tray and just pressed into the surface. Larger seeds are covered, cover them with the fine Vermiculite. The Vermiculite is sterile and holds the moisture, this helps germinating by supplying even moisture.
Label your little pots of plants, and record the date, seed source, etc. on paper, in a book, whatever, so you remember what you planted.

COVER TRAY WITH GLASS....

2006-02-26_154034_glass_&_under_lights.jpg

Cover the seed flats with an old piece of glass or plastic wrap. Place the tray under your grow lights, or on a bright window sill.
If you use grow lights or plain 48" fluorescent tubes, you can keep the trays 2 inches from the bulbs.
Once the seeds sprout, some within days, remove the glass only from those pots. Keep the seedlings under your lights or in a bright window..be sure to keep the trays well watered....always water from the bottom. *Seedlings in full sun require more monitoring, they will dry out very quickly.
When your plants have a few 'true [real]leaves' your little babies can be transplanted into individual pots.Continue to grow them 2 inches from your grow lights, or in a sunny window. Always monitor them so they don't dry out.
Hope that even one person will try to grow some seedlings, it is very rewarding and not as difficult as you may think.
HAPPY PLANTING!!!!
2006-02-26_133854_flower_power.gif

Edited by: Northern Winos

PERSEVERANCE FURTHERS!!!!</font>

Figured out what my problem was..

I had the photos in a file...had numbered them #1#2#3 ...etc...it just wouldn't upload them with the # symbol... kind of odd....
Anyone ever had that problem???

if only one person plants one seed, and it survives to become a flower...this was worth it.

I need a drink!!!

2006-02-26_154754_al_coholic.gif
Edited by: Northern Winos

RED SHIELD HIBISCUS....germinated
[Purple Leaved Hibiscus]

2006-02-27_085500_Picture_004_2.jpg

Last Friday these seeds were heat treated....put in boiling water and soaked for 24 hours...planted on Saturday...here it is Monday AM and I was greeted with some little sprouts....
smiley4.gif

Not all seeds germinate this quickly...
Planting a seed is rewarding..one way to ignore the 'Winter Doldrums'.Edited by: Northern Winos

Looking good Northern Wino.
smiley1.gif

I too have started my own plants for years. It's very rewarding and fun. I started my own commercial vegetable venture in 1974 and still dabble in it although my little brother runs it now(he turned 39 this month). He added flowers to the business and now has about 25,000 sq ft under plastic. He lost two houses in the wind last week and had to repair and recover them. Luckily nothing in them yet. I'll be starting the grape cuttings I got from the Double A later this week and will try to post some pictures as they progress. I will be planting some year old stock also and will try to compare the progress of the two ways of growing.

Northern Winos said:
PERSEVERANCE FURTHERS!!!!

Figured out what my problem was..

I had the photos in a file...had numbered them #1#2#3 ...etc...it just wouldn't upload them with the # symbol... kind of odd....
Anyone ever had that problem???

if only one person plants one seed, and it survives to become a flower...this was worth it.

I need a drink!!!

Also have found that pictures with such symbols as ' and ( or ) will prevent pictures from loading...

I need to try starting some seeds again this year since I have my eye on growing some Red Savina Habañero
hotfire.gif
which has been recorded in the Guinness Book of World Records as the world's hottest spice at up to 580,000 Scoville units! A normal Habañero Chile is usually around the 280,000-300,000 mark. Red Savina Habaneros are the hottest peppers there are!

redsavina.JPG

Edited by: masta

Help NW.

I always try to start seeds but the little plants seem to get leggy so fast. They don't have strong little stem to start out. What am I doing wrong?

I've tried under the lights andon the window sill. The head straight for the sun but lanky. Mainly herb seeds which are small. Last year did some tomatoes and cucumbers on the balcony. The seeds I just stick in a pot with another plant and ignoreseem to come up fine without all the fuss but when I try what you are doing my luck isn't good!

Ramona

My nastursium seedscome up where ever I stick them....if the squirrel doesn't get them first.Edited by: rgecaprock

NW, you boil your seeds????
smiley5.gif

Never heard of that.... Can you do that with all seeds? Whas the reason for doing so?

Thanks

RGE, I hear ya. I've decided (but I'm tempted) NOT to do seeds this year. They never work. Either I over water, under-water, or totally botch them up in some way. I take them outside to early, start them too early, start them too late, or plant them at the wrong time.

I've decided, although I feel like a total failure, to buy established plants this year at my local nursery. He's italian and got all the weird and wonderful herbs that I am dying to make wine with.
smiley36.gif

My geraniums, however (knock on wood), are still holding their own.
smiley32.gif

jobe05 said:
NW, you boil your seeds????
smiley5.gif

Never heard of that.... Can you do that with all seeds?  Whas the reason for doing so?

Thanks

The Hibiscus seeds said to put them in boiling water and let them cool and soak for 24 hours...it was to break the dormancy....Don't try that with any seed that doesn't recommend it....They came up in record time, like 2 days...amazing.
Some seeds get frozen for a few weeks or more to break dormancy....some just go in the fridge.
Seems many flower seeds need different treatments....some need light to germinate, others need to be covered, some need to be on top of the soil...but in darkness....so you cover those with black plastic....
Some seed companies are real good about directions, others don't elaborate on planting directions....so then do a bit of research.
Try growing some flowers or veggies, it is very rewarding.

rgecaprock said:
Help NW.

I always try to start seeds but the little plants seem to get leggy so fast.  They don't have strong little stem to start out.  What am I doing wrong?

I've tried under the lights and  on the window sill.  The head straight for the sun but lanky. Mainly herb seeds which are small.  Last year did some tomatoes and cucumbers on the balcony.  The seeds I just stick in a pot with another plant and ignore seem to come up fine without all the fuss but when I try what you are doing my luck isn't good!

Ramona

My nastursium seeds come up where ever I stick them....if the squirrel doesn't get them first.

If the seedlings get leggy it means they aren't getting enough light right from the start.If you do them under fluorescent lights put them real close to the bulbs, like 2 inches, and once growing they can even touch the bulb...they won't burn. Get them right up close. Keep the lights on a timer, for about 18 hours....
As for on the window sill....best to have a South window, and wait till the days are longer....don't try windows in the winter, even in Texas, the days are to short during the winter. Once you have 12 or more hours of daylight, then go for it...especially herbs, they like a lot of sun.
Use a sterile potting mix...if you have every had seedling come up and then tip over...then it is possible that they 'dampened off', or molded at the base from the soil, lots of funky fungus in ordinary soil.
To keep the squirrels from getting your seeds, cover the pots with a screen or something till the seedlings are good size.I struggle with Chipmunks and Squirrels eating my melon seeds...rascals!!! the seeds must really smell good because they sure can find them.
Don't give up, keep trying, you have the will to do it and will be rewarded.
smiley4.gif

masta said:
Also have found that pictures with such symbols will prevent pictures from loading...

I need to try starting some seeds again this year since I have my eye on growing some Habanerowhich has been recorded in the Guinness Book of World Records as the world's hottest spice up to 580,000 Scoville units! A normal Habañero Chile is usually around the 280,000-300,000 mark. Red Savina Habaneros are the hottest peppers there are!

redsavina.JPG

We have never tried those...They sure look prety tho...are they also known as Scoch Bonnets??????
We like Jalapeños, those are hot enough for us Gringos.....my Honey eats them with every meal during the summer.
I usually start my peppers about the middle of March, works for us up here as I can't safely set the plants out till the middle of May...so have to wait.
smiley19.gif

TRANSPLANTING SEEDLINGS</font>
Just in case anyone planted some seeds and might need a little help transplanting...please....ask any questions.

First gather up your supplies...individual plastic cells [pots]..[clean], a good commercial potting mix..water proof tray... and your sedlings....

2006-03-12_133407_AA__get_ready.jpg

Fill your little cells with potting mix and soak, water only from the bottom by putting water in the tray.....Poke holes in soil to hold the seedling...

2006-03-12_133858_F_soaking.jpg

Here are some healthy 16 day old Red Leafed Hibiscus and Datura seedlings in need of transplanting...

2006-03-12_132651_B_Seedlings.jpg

Dump the whole root mass out of the pot....nice healthy roots

2006-03-12_132807_C__roots.jpg

Don't be afraid to pull the roots apart to separate the plants....break off a chunk of the root mass...

2006-03-12_133024_D_TEAR_APART.jpg

And then pull apart individual plants...

2006-03-12_133640_E_tear_apart_again.jpg

Hold the seedling only by the root ball or the leaves, never by the stem....

2006-03-12_134030_G_hold.jpg

Place plant in the prepared soil in the little pot or cell....
Press soil around plant and be sure to cover all the roots.....
Plant single stemmed plants deep, up to the first leaf, carefully bury the long stems....

2006-03-12_134254_H_press.jpg

Here is a little 6 Pack of Red Leafed Hibiscus plants....
2006-03-12_134418_J__individual.jpg

Have fun with your spring planting....
smiley4.gif

PLANTING PEPPER SEEDS</font>

Probably half the country has their pepper plants set out in your gardens already...for us in the Northern tier of the country...it is time to start the pepper seeds, as well as some other seeds...

Gather your supplies...

2006-03-12_140629_AA_Get_Ready.jpg

Fill your starting pots with a good commercial SEED STARTING MIX...

2006-03-12_140829_B__fill_with_mix_2.jpg

Cover the mix with a layer of fine VERMICULITE...it is a sterile medium and is the only thing your seeds will come in contact with...the roots will grow down into your potting mix.

2006-03-12_141024_C__top_with_fine_VERMICULITE_2.jpg

Moisten the trays by watering from the bottom...always water seedlings from below...I line my trays with plastic to be sure they won't leak...Once the seedlings are larger you can water from above....

2006-03-12_141244_D__moisten_from_bottom_2.jpg

Place your seeds on top of the surface, keep them evenly spaced, makes transplanting so much easier....

2006-03-12_141417_E_Planted.jpg

Cover the seeds with VERMICULITE..to required depth...

2006-03-12_141543_F_Cover_Seeds.jpg

Cover tray with glass or plastic sheet and place close to fluorescent lights or in sunny window....

2006-03-12_141705_G_Under_Lights.jpg

Within a few days there will be sprouts, remove the glass as they appear....

Enjoy your spring planting....
smiley4.gif

NW,

You are so good at that!!! Great tutorial. Where do you have your lights set up? Do you have a special room you use?

Ramona

rgecaprock said:
NW,

You are so good at that!!!  Great tutorial. Where do you have your lights set up?  Do you have a special room you use?

Ramona

Thanks Ramona....it's all downstairs in the laundry room...my 'workbench' is the chest type freezer and my 'Honey' made me a stand for the lights many years ago. Have had the plant stand in 4 different houses through the years, there is always room for my plant light stand...was even in the office in one old house...once in the entry hall during the needed season and then moved out...a girl's gots to do...what a girl's gots to do....
smiley4.gif

I love growing stuff from seeds...this is my favorite time of the year....to plant a seed is one of the best things is life for me.... so filled with promise.....
smiley4.gif

We always had a huge garden growing up and us 4 girls had to work in it (4girls, 4hoes). I loved it....one of my sisters hated it. She would chop off the plants then stick them back in the ground and dad wouln't notice until the next day when it was wilted...then she would blame it on me. We had every vegetable you could imagine. This time of year I would be going door to door selling asparagus for 25 cents a bunch. Dad started seeds too but he had a hot bed that was in the ground with huge window panes in heavy wooden frames. He would just prop them up to get in there and work with the plants. I would love to live where I could start seeds and have a garden. I really envy you and love your pictures and your stories.

Ramona

Latest posts

Back