Suggestions plum wine back flavoring

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sammyk

Reaction score
I am looking for some suggestions on how to back flavor/sweeten plum wine?

I have been doing a lot of reading and saw about using jam for making wine so with the red raspberry, blueberry I think I will try jars of jam.

What about the plum? What have others tried?

Sammy, What about something like this?:

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/wine...rvest/plum-vintner-s-harvest-fruit-bases.html

You could contact them for the brix on this stuff but it would add flavor and sweetness. I don't think you would use the whole can so you could make a small (e.g. 2 gallon) batch with what is left over. Also, Sam's Club sells dried plums (really Prunes, I guess) that you could at to the primary in a future batch for more body/flavor.

Rocky
That is what I used to make the wine and it really lacks flavor. You did give me an idea though about the dried plums and making an f-pack from them, straining and simmering down.

Any other ideas?

Sammy, I am wondering if you made the 3 gallon or the 5 gallon recipe, or something in between? Good idea to make an f-pack from the dried plums. I would extract the liquid, concentrate it by boiling off most of the water and even consider putting the plums in a bag with some pectic enzyme and dropping that in the wine for a few weeks or a month. Be careful not to make the wine too sweet, unless you like it that way. My experience is once the sugar is in there, it is almost impossible to remedy without blending.

I made 3 gallons.

I was in the store and picked up some dried prunes and then I found Smuckers Red Plum Jam.

We made 4 different wines from the Vinters Harvest, Peach, red Raspberry, plum and Blueberry. To us, they all lack flavor even though we went with 3 gallons. If I were to make them again, I would consider 2 cans of VH for 3 gallons or maybe 5 gallons.

Since we like our wine slightly sweet, I will try one jar per gallon and skip the sugar and see what that does for the wine.

I plan to melt it down with a little wine and then strain if necessary.

I am also looking for a good flavor enhancer for my plum wine. Jam by nature is packed full of added pectin. I would be worried about clearing it. I have not decided but there is plum syrup and canned plums on Amazon.com for some ideas.

Latest posts

Back