Other What's the longest you can age a kit wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My first kit was made four years ago, a winexpert Malbec Shiraz. No skins. Didn’t like it for a long time. Had a bottle last week at the four year mark and it is now good. I’m glad because all other kits since then are higher end with skins. My Amarone will be 4 in February and I look forward to trying it again at that mark. I have about 120 bottles of various red kits now aging in a wine cooler. I plan to let all kits age in combination of bulk and bottles until the two year point before I start sampling. I believe age makes a huge difference with these red kits. My best kits so far are those that I’ve tweaked, particularly with extended maceration and barrel aging. These two factors, along with at least one year of aging before I bottle (then at least six months in bottle), have made all the difference.

My first few kits I were made in 2012. About a month ago I opened one of the last bottles of the first kit (a mid-priced kit), and it was past its' prime. Still drinkable, but certainly on it's way to oxidation.

My high-end kits are still going strong after 5 years.

Latest posts

Back