Sudden second fermentatie?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjors86

Junior
Reaction score
About 5 month's ago I got my self enough elderflower to make 20L of cider.
End of august it looked like the fermentation was over, I added bentonite to clear my wine. The instruction said it would need to rest for a month before botteling.

I just wanted to do that, but I was suprised to see my cider fermenting again.
Do I have to worry I destroyed my cider or should I just wait with bottling until fermentation stops.

I just lost my hydrometer, but I'm waiting on a new one, could it be possible that the bubbles I see aren't CO2 and that fermentation was really over when I added the bentonite and the gas that is released now, is actually something else?

My guess is that fermentation was over months ago, but it is just releasing some CO2 gas now. Perhaps it got a little warmer.

I doubt you've ruined anything. I'd check the specific gravity when you get your new hydrometer, and, if it is low enough, go ahead and bottle. Have you or do you plan to add sulfites?

Sulfites added before you pitch (add) the yeast are to inhibit any wild yeast and allow your selected yeast to gain a strong foothold. Sulfites added at bottling are to inhibit oxidation and allow your wine to age without spoiling. It's the same chemicals but their function is quite different.

Latest posts

Back