Not growing

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnyq57

Junior
Reaction score
Hi. This may seen a bizarre question on this forum, but how do I stop vines producing grapes? I own a villa in Cyprus, and on the south aspect of the villa there are vines planted. They provide shade, which is fabulous, but they also produce grapes, which is an annoyance as we are rarely visiting the property when they are ripe and ready to be picked. When we do arrive at the end of the season there are vast amounts of fallen grapes and even more dying on the vines. This, as you will know, makes a sticky mess for us to clear up and dispose of, so hence my question. I'm sure you are thinking "first world problem", but I would appreciate advice if it is possible to prevent grape production. Thanks, John

Just replace the vine with a male vine which will not produce grapes. It may take a couple years to get a new one growing but the problem will be gone.

You have four options:

1) Do as grapeman suggested. And, yes you can graft on a male.
2) Cut off the grapes earlier in the year when you are there and throw them away.
3) Hire a local to harvest the grapes.
4) Replant with another plant. Wisteria may be to consider. It grows fast, and it has nice flowers in the spring.

Latest posts

Back