The great white wine competition

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im in for a fruit wine; my GA grapes can't compete with west coast stuff

See, this is the problem with the wine world. Who says CA has "THEE" grapes. Just because a vast majority of the US wine originates there, doesn't mean it is the "cream of the crop". It is just what the "herd" has become accustomed to and told/decided was the best.

Your GA grapes may be just as good or better than any CA grape.

Remember, it is all in the drinker and the likes of them.

I have sent shipping info (via PM) to the following...

CGALLAMO
CODEMAN
SAGE
IBGLOWIN
MISMOST
JOHNY99
JGMANN67
TONYR
SUZYWINEMAKER
BREWBUSH
HEATHERD
CEEATON
KRAFFTY
ROCKY
BOATBOY24
GEEK
RODNBORO
BARBIEK
vacuumpumpman

If I have missed anyone, please let me know.

Last edited:
See, this is the problem with the wine world. Who says CA has "THEE" grapes. Just because a vast majority of the US wine originates there, doesn't mean it is the "cream of the crop". It is just what the "herd" has become accustomed to and told/decided was the best.

Your GA grapes may be just as good or better than any CA grape.

Remember, it is all in the drinker and the likes of them.

Here, Here and AMEN BROTHER!!

I have visited wineries in at least 20 different states (Georgia included) and 6 different countries. California, though good, is by far NOT the only game in town!!!

Heck, there is even a winery not more than 8 miles from my in-laws place that produces great wines.

GA is a "hidden gem" for vineyards. In years to come, you will no doubt see a fine wine reputation.

Does this mean that you will be entering the competition Wineforfun??

Last edited:
Note: I forgot to mention an entry deadline. All entries need to be received by 11/18/2016. I have updated the "rules" with the date.

Looking forward to it!! I won't be sending anything off for a while. Want to wait until the weather cools off.

Does this mean that you will be entering the competition Wineforfun??

No sir. I am not much for these wine competitions but I do enjoy swapping bottles with fellow members from time to time.

Also, I don't have any whites other than an apple-jalapeno. Not a big white wine drinker.

Good luck with it though, looks like you have some great bottles heading your way, from the names listed.

Do you want us to keep our labels on the bottles or take them off? Or just include a sheet with all the information along with the labeled bottle.
Thanks.

Do you want us to keep our labels on the bottles or take them off? Or just include a sheet with all the information along with the labeled bottle.
Thanks.

No need to take the label off. We might even award medals for the best labels.

If at all possible, could you affix the info directly on the bottle. Less chance of a mix up that way. Perhaps written on a piece of masking tape stuck to the bottle??

Last year we had over 30 entries. Having the info on the bottle sure made things easier for us.

Those points for medals seem very low. I'm used to a bronze being 15.5 or more. Are they normal for the US, or is it just this competition?

Should we contribute a little something to help with the cost of the medals?

No need to contribute to anything.

You folks are already spending a small fortune in shipping. The providing medals is the least we can do!. It is a very small price to pay for the privilege of tasting your best!

No entry fee!!!

Plus remember, the judges will be all drunk by the time they finish, so it won't matter at that point...LOL j/k [emoji4][emoji4]

Plus remember, the judges will be all drunk by the time they finish, so it won't matter at that point...LOL j/k [emoji4][emoji4]

If the last competition is any indication of the number of entries we will have, we would not be drunk.. we would be dead...

Seriously, we use the sip/swirl/spit method... (I know, sounds really attractive)..

Back