Leaking Variable Capacity Seal

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GemstoneCreek

Junior
Reaction score
I've got a 300L VC tank with 100L of wine in it just finished primary. The seal is holding pressure but the CO2 is leaking where the seam of the tube is instead of at the valve. It happened with the old seal and so I bought a new one but the same thing is happening. Is this usual? I am pumping it up to 0.8bar (and beyond). I am worried that over winter it will draw air into it overnight.

It might not be as bad as you might think.

If your wine is still fermenting, the CO2 is under positive pressure and finds the path of least resistance. If you are leaving as little headspace as possible (or if your lid is floating directly on the surface of the wine), then the amount of air that would be drawn into the tank (due to temp and barometric changes) will be very minimal.

Hi, thanks for all of your replies. I would much prefer no transfer - after all that's what tanks are supposed to do. I may have to follow Runningwolf's suggestion and buy a better seal (just spent $50 on the current one). I haven't come across a supplier in Australia yet that supplies a better quality seal but I'll keep hunting. As you said JohnT, I have positive pressure at the moment.

Latest posts

Back