South African Grapes - Harford Vineyard (MD)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boatboy24

No longer a newbie, but still clueless.
Reaction score
Just got notice last night that Harford is offering South African grapes again this year. Grapes will be Pinotage, Sauvignon Blanc, Cab Sauv, Merlot, and Syrah. Due to hot, dry weather in December, it will be an early harvest; with Pinotage and Sauv Blanc arriving in late march, and the rest in late April.

are you jumping on the wagon Jim?

Probably not this year. I've got my spring harvest plans pretty much nailed down and am going Chilean. Harford being almost 2 hours each way prevents me from wanting to make multiple trips. :ft

But I just remembered: @heatherd did their Pinotage last year. I wonder how its coming along.

Probably not this year. I've got my spring harvest plans pretty much nailed down and am going Chilean. Harford being almost 2 hours each way prevents me from wanting to make multiple trips. :ft

But I just remembered: @heatherd did their Pinotage last year. I wonder how its coming along.

@Boatboy24
It is true, I did the pinotage. It doesn't taste all that good yet, but it's my understanding that many commercial pinotage wines have a strange taste. Mine ended up a little skunky. I haven't tried it lately though.

I would definitely try a different varietal.

@Boatboy24
It is true, I did the pinotage. It doesn't taste all that good yet, but it's my understanding that many commercial pinotage wines have a strange taste. Mine ended up a little skunky. I haven't tried it lately though.

I would definitely try a different varietal.

I would definitely not make a Pinotage unless one is sure he or she likes the taste of either Pinotage or Cinsault. I do, but they are not a run-of-the-mill grapes!

I would definitely not make a Pinotage unless one is sure he or she likes the taste of either Pinotage or Cinsault. I do, but they are not a run-of-the-mill grapes!

True, and I tasted commercial pinotage to know what I was getting into. I bought a high-end and a low-end version from my local liquor store (which I am very lucky they carry pinotage at all, much less in several price points) and liked them both.

Then mine tasted skunky.

And then I read an article that it is common to put a penny in a glass of pinotage when you drink it to deal with the skunkiness in commercial wines.

Anyway, I would steer clear of this varietal myself, but any of the others would be good to try. I suspect South African Sauvignon Blanc would be quite tasty.

Harford only has grapes from SA, not juice buckets, so whatever you do would be an all-grape batch.

Jim, do you have to call Harford to preorder grapes and/or juice buckets, or does the website allow for preorder on X date? I'd like to try making wine from grapes (have only worked with kits), but don't feel like waiting till September to beg Loudoun vineyards for grapes. Thanks in advance.

Jim, do you have to call Harford to preorder grapes and/or juice buckets, or does the website allow for preorder on X date? I'd like to try making wine from grapes (have only worked with kits), but don't feel like waiting till September to beg Loudoun vineyards for grapes. Thanks in advance.

I have ordered from Harford several times so can answer. The website goes live to preorder, you pay half up front online, and then you'll get an email when the grapes are likely to be ready for pick-up. Last you'll get an email when they have arrived. The vineyard opens special hours to facilitate pick-up, so you'll want to let them know when you are coming. When you get there you'll pay the other half.

Crush/destem: if you want this put it in the notes for your order. It's $25. They'll do it for you on the day you pick up. I get this done because it's easier for me.

Bring your own buckets for grapes. The juice comes in pails, but the South African harvest is only grapes.

They sell yeast and malolactic bacteria there, and the winemaker (Kevin) can suggest a yeast pairing for you. If you want malolactic, let them know in advance and they can order.

Also, their website has instructions for making wine from grapes that are very useful.

They do not adjust pH, acid, brix, inoculate, etc. The grapes and juice are unaltered and fresh.

They grow grapes there, and they bring in grapes and juice from all over. They sell their own grapes, which are merlot, traimenette, and a few other types. I got Maryland Seyval grapes there last harvest, and it is very tasty.

I really love Harford for their customer service and the fact that I can get Italian, Californian, Maryland, Chilean, and South African juice and grapes. Plus the prices are really good. Most juice pails are $52.00, and they only do pick up so you're not paying shipping.

I have ordered from Harford several times so can answer. The website goes live to preorder, you pay half up front online, and then you'll get an email when the grapes are likely to be ready for pick-up. Last you'll get an email when they have arrived. The vineyard opens special hours to facilitate pick-up, so you'll want to let them know when you are coming. When you get there you'll pay the other half.

Crush/destem: if you want this put it in the notes for your order. It's $25. They'll do it for you on the day you pick up. I get this done because it's easier for me.

Bring your own buckets for grapes. The juice comes in pails, but the South African harvest is only grapes.

They sell yeast and malolactic bacteria there, and the winemaker (Kevin) can suggest a yeast pairing for you. If you want malolactic, let them know in advance and they can order.

Also, their website has instructions for making wine from grapes that are very useful.

They do not adjust pH, acid, brix, inoculate, etc. The grapes and juice are unaltered and fresh.

They grow grapes there, and they bring in grapes and juice from all over. They sell their own grapes, which are merlot, traimenette, and a few other types. I got Maryland Seyval grapes there last harvest, and it is very tasty.

I really love Harford for their customer service and the fact that I can get Italian, Californian, Maryland, Chilean, and South African juice and grapes. Plus the prices are really good. Most juice pails are $52.00, and they only do pick up so you're not paying shipping.
Very useful information. Thank you. Can't wait till the site opens for preorder!

Very useful information. Thank you. Can't wait till the site opens for preorder!

IIRC, the email from Harford said the SA Grapes could only be ordered by calling.

Welcome to WMT, by the way. Where in Loudon are you? I'm in Fairfax County - just a few miles south-east of Dulles. I'm working with a co-worker who is a 'member' out at 8 Chains in Waterford and knows the winemaker. He has told her he's willing to let me 'piggy-back' on his order of Washington grapes this fall. I'm hoping that comes to fruition.

IIRC, the email from Harford said the SA Grapes could only be ordered by calling.

Welcome to WMT, by the way. Where in Loudon are you? I'm in Fairfax County - just a few miles south-east of Dulles. I'm working with a co-worker who is a 'member' out at 8 Chains in Waterford and knows the winemaker. He has told her he's willing to let me 'piggy-back' on his order of Washington grapes this fall. I'm hoping that comes to fruition.
I'm in Ashburn. I just recently (like 2 weeks ago) decided to give grapes a try. I've been buying my kits from Kettles & Grains in Leesburg - not cheap but I like supporting local small business. He's mostly catering to the beer crowd, as the name implies, but he carries what I need for home wine making and will order any kit I want. Anyhow, he mentioned that the owner of Philip Carter Vineyard had a pickup in March and that he'd ask about getting me grapes. Also, the owner of Two Twisted Posts offered to give me grapes last year, but I didn't follow up with her because I didn't really feel I was ready for grapes. I plan to contact her in July/September to ask if I could help with the harvest and take some of the grapes for myself. I'll post if/when K&G gets back to me.

I'm in Ashburn. I just recently (like 2 weeks ago) decided to give grapes a try. I've been buying my kits from Kettles & Grains in Leesburg - not cheap but I like supporting local small business. He's mostly catering to the beer crowd, as the name implies, but he carries what I need for home wine making and will order any kit I want. Anyhow, he mentioned that the owner of Philip Carter Vineyard had a pickup in March and that he'd ask about getting me grapes. Also, the owner of Two Twisted Posts offered to give me grapes last year, but I didn't follow up with her because I didn't really feel I was ready for grapes. I plan to contact her in July/September to ask if I could help with the harvest and take some of the grapes for myself. I'll post if/when K&G gets back to me.

Keep me posted, and I'll do the same if you're interested in Washington grapes this fall (assuming I can get the 8 Chains connection working).

Ashburn? We'll you're only a few miles away. If you're interested in doing a wine swap, let me know.

Keep me posted, and I'll do the same if you're interested in Washington grapes this fall (assuming I can get the 8 Chains connection working).

Ashburn? We'll you're only a few miles away. If you're interested in doing a wine swap, let me know.
sounds good, and I would do a wine swap, but sadly my 1st 2 kits (Eclipse Merlot & Petit Verdot) didn't turn out so well - didn't properly degas before bottling. Rookie mistake. Never again though. I bought an AllInOne and now know to warm wine to 75 degrees when attempting to degas. Right now I'm working Eclipse Cab Sauv and a Nebbiolo, plus an Icewine. Hopefully come late April I'll be working SA Syrah grapes. BTW, I think they are announcing the Virgina Governors Case winners tomorrow.

Heather/Jim, I spoke with someone at Harford today and they mentioned there's no guarantee they'll even get SA grapes - all depends on whether they get enough interest. She took my name and noted I was interested in 100 pounds of the Syrah.

I feel dumb asking this, but this is a 1st for me - how many buckets would I need to show up with for 100 pounds (assuming they crush/destem for me)? I'd be driving an Accord or Camry, so the bucket size would have to fit that. Just curious what you do? Also, what size primary fermenter should I have for this? Having only used kits, I've only ever needed my 6.5 gallon bucket. I figure I better prepare now.

I'm pretty new to this too and went to Harford for the first time last spring. Here's an image of what I did for 100 lbs of grapes I got locally this fall. You can pick these up at Lowe's or Home Depot, I'm pretty sure they are under $30. Hope that helps, always good to plan ahead.

BTW, this is in the back seat of a Toyota Corolla, you should be fine in your Accord.

Edit: I think this is a 20 gallon brute, forgot to mention that. They come in 30 and I think 40 gallon ones also.

9-12-15_grapes1.jpg

I'm pretty new to this too and went to Harford for the first time last spring. Here's an image of what I did for 100 lbs of grapes I got locally this fall. You can pick these up at Lowe's or Home Depot, I'm pretty sure they are under $30. Hope that helps, always good to plan ahead.

BTW, this is in the back seat of a Toyota Corolla, you should be fine in your Accord.

Edit: I think this is a 20 gallon brute, forgot to mention that. They come in 30 and I think 40 gallon ones also.
Thanks Craig. Glad to see the 20 gal worked just fine for you. I've seen previous posts about only buying grey/white (food-grade) ones. I'll pick one up soon.

I ferment grapes in 20gal Brutes and they will hold up to 140lbs. As far as transport, I do them in 6 and 5 gallon buckets. I plan on 3 per 100lbs, but that's a little overkill. Last fall, I had 3 lugs of Cab, 3 of Syrah and 2 of Petit Sirah in the back of my Outback with room for a few more buckets - maybe 5 or 6 if I put the back seats down. You should easily be able to fit 3 in your car. Only question would be trunk or back seat. And that would depend on how deep the trunk is.

Harford emailed me last night and said their supplier notified them that they will not be getting SA Syrah due to excessive heat damage this year. I assume this means all SA grape varietals? The email noted they'll get Syrah from Chile in mid or late May.

Harford emailed me last night and said their supplier notified them that they will not be getting SA Syrah due to excessive heat damage this year. I assume this means all SA grape varietals? The email noted they'll get Syrah from Chile in mid or late May.

@balassley
Thanks for letting everyone know!

Hartford

I got my email from Hartford and they will be getting the Pinotage and I did order 80 lbs of them so I hope I have better luck than others posted. I am looking forward to the grapes. I love the Pinotage that I have tasted before both kits and commercial so lets give her a try right? haha Wish me luck. I used them last year for juices and was very happy with the Californian and you are correct their customer service is awesome. I will be buying from them for a long time, even though I have to drive about an hour each way the quality is worth it.

Back