Other Tweeking Cheap Kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now I understand your using a concentrate,now that sounds like a basic plan to start with.

I suggest adding the blueberries in primary. Mash them with a potato masher, then simmer off some of the water to concentrate the flavor, let them cool to around room temperature and add to the fruit base and water.

As far as the oak is concerned, I would not use anything too heavy (toasted). If anything, I might add 3 to 4 oz. of medium toast American oak.

That's a good plan to me and yes no oak at all.
ABV at least 10% no higher if possible. This will be ready to drink in 8 weeks from your starting date.

What would you say about adding dried elderberries to wine instead of currants as a tweak?

Yes any good white will do, I've done this before and if you let it set with the fruit in the secondary it's very good, give it time to set up then rack and allow it to come back together again.
Got it?

Yes any good white will do, I've done this before and if you let it set with the fruit in the secondary it's very good, give it time to set up then rack and allow it to come back together again.
Got it?
I'm not sure I understand. Elderberries in a white?

I just racked my Sauvignon Blanc (and managed to stir up a bit of sediment). I will let it sit for about 4 more months, then rack one more time and bottle.

100_1391.JPG

Oh yes, Joe. My MO is to take a little out of each carboy with a wine thief to taste, mostly to see if everything is going okay. All were very nice considering their youth. This will be a very nice afternoon drinker for next Summer.

I'll be honest, I've tweaked a few of these cheap kits and they're just not turning out great. Should I give them more time? They're already 7 months old and I'm not crazy about them.

When do you normally taste your tweaked kits and think they're awesome?

Ok refresh my memory,what kits have you tweak and what was your inha cement process.
What your end result should be is a decent everyday drinking wine.
Tell me.

I caught a good deal on a used floor corker...THE BIG RED ONE! Really looking forward to trying it out this week end. It looks fast just sitting still in the shop all red and shiny...Think I should wax it up like my old '67 Camero?

Bought one last month. Love it

Ok refresh my memory,what kits have you tweak and what was your inha cement process.
What your end result should be is a decent everyday drinking wine.
Tell me.

I went with two fontana kits. Malbec and Cabernet style.
For both of them, I tweaked by adding roughly 1 cup of currants and 8oz of blackberries in primary and tweaking down to 5 gallons. The Malbec is a little more drinkable after heavy decanting, but it's still only 'okay'. Most of my $8 bottles outshine both of these pretty easily.

Joe. Just bought a wine experts mizza Luna kit. Supposed to be a good Italian wine. I have both black Berries and raspberries. Also have oak with the kit. Any suggestions on tweaking. We like are rich full bodies dry red like Ted Zinfandel from dry creek region of Sonoma
Thanks in advance [emoji41]

Lwrightjs,that's not enough volumn of berries,16ozs. normal.per 5/6 gal.datch.
Jim612
You need at least 16oz.eirher fruit will do, not both.plus a hand full of raisins.ABV around 13% works out very balanced when finished and allowed to age do 8mos. to a year.or not

Lwrightjs,that's not enough volumn of berries,16ozs. normal.per 5/6 gal.datch.
Jim612
You need at least 16oz.eirher fruit will do, not both.plus a hand full of raisins.ABV around 13% works out very balanced when finished and allowed to age do 8mos. to a year.or not
Do you do these fruits in primary or secondary?

The Zante currants were dried. I don't know if that helps at all.
I basically followed one of your recipes in the very beginning of this thread.

describe one of your wines process to me if you will so I can understand were the error occurred if any,ok (step by STEP ).Thanks
sometimes its the base wine itself not constructed enough.

describe one of your wines process to me if you will so I can understand were the error occurred if any,ok (step by STEP ).Thanks
sometimes its the base wine itself not constructed enough.

A 6 gallon fontana Malbec (and Cabernet kit) made to 5 gallons
10 oz of dried currants added to primary
1 TBSP of Wine Tannin added to primary
1 cup of Fr Oak added to Primary
10 oz of Blackberries added to Primary
Red Star Premier Rouge Yeast pitched at roughly 72 degrees F.
Starting gravity 1.110

Moved to 'secondary' after about 14 days
Added 1 more TBSP of Tannin and 1 more cup of Oak.
Finished at .998

Racked off the oak after about 2 months
Bottled 2 months later
It's been about a month since bottling

Back