Other Tweeking Cheap Kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Suggestion onces you've degassed ,run superkleer through it and let it set ,sort of a prefiltler process do to the heavy silt ,.

Last edited:
Thanks, Joe. I don't have SuperKleer but I did add Kieselsol today and will add Chitosan tomorrow. Those two agents came with the kits. I do have Sparkalloid powder that I use for difficult clearings.

I did the racking, sulfiting and started clearing today because the SG's in the various carboys were running between 0.996 and .0994. I ended up losing quite a bit in the sludge but it yielded 22 gallons plus some miscellaneous top off bottles. Taste, even at this early date, is very good. Crisp and acidic.

100_1384.JPG

Hey Joe, not to change the subject but I started a kit of Island Mist Cranberry pinot gris and I have a gallon I want to add some orange zest to get a hint of orange to the taste. I added 2 pounds sugar, 2 pounds sliced cranberries and about 25% of the F-Pac in the primary. finished wine is about 9.5% ABV and a hint of tartness. If I add orange zest now will that accomplish what I'm looking for ? Thanks, Bakervinyard

Rocky, it may take a little more work but in the end it will be very good.

Bakervinyard, YES...add it directly into the primary.

Last edited:
Update on the Sauvignon Blanc. Added the Chitosan yesterday morning and this is what it looks like today.
100_1386.JPG
I looked up Superkleer on the internet and it seems to consist of a packet of Kieselsol and one of Chitosan. This, in effect, is the same thing that I added to my wine over a two day period per the kit instructions.

I plan to keep it in the carboys for about 6 months, rack it then bottle it in early June. The taste of the wine is great, nice acidity and fruity. I like the color. I put the ABV at about 12.5%, which is slightly more than I wanted it to be. I was looking for more like 12%. It should be a nice afternoon drinker.

Last edited:
Excellent you should have a very compacted Lee's at the bottom easy for reracking it bottling good show

What I am wanting to do is to start with a wine base, like Vinters blueberry wine base. What can I do to improve that flavor? I hear the flavor is light if I just used the wine base as directed.

Smitty, your telling me your base is a blueberry wine correct? And you want to improve the flavor profile correct?

Then add a fpac of blueberries to the secondary.
Does your kit have an fpac.?

I do not have a kit just a gallon of the blueberry wine base.
Smitty, is this what you are using? If so, you have to add this to four gallons of water to make a 5 gallon batch at about 10% ABV. I have not made the blueberry but I did make a 4 gallon batch (only added 3 gallons of water instead of 4) and I used it to blend with another red for a stronger blackbery taste. It worked out very well. If you are making blueberry wine, you may want to add less water for a little greater ABV or add some simple syrup (2:1 ratio of sugar to water, heated to dissolve the sugar) and bring the initial SG up to about 1.090 which would give you a wine at about 12.5% ABV. If you leave it as is, the wine will ABV at 10.7%.

finally things in the works, left to right, passion fruit zin ,Walkers Pear,Walkers Cranberry ,Coconut YUZO, Eclipse Merlot and for carol Fontana cabernet, starting soon Vintners Pino Blanc and Piesporter for Carol OB Peach perfection.

Attachments

• stuff 005.jpg
    stuff 005.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 36
  • stuff 007.jpg
    stuff 007.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 34
  • stuff 008.jpg
    stuff 008.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 34
  • stuff 009.jpg
    stuff 009.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 33
  • stuff 010.jpg
    stuff 010.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 33
  • stuff 011.jpg
    stuff 011.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 33
  • stuff 013.jpg
    stuff 013.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 35
  • stuff 017.jpg
    stuff 017.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 39
Smitty, is this what you are using? If so, you have to add this to four gallons of water to make a 5 gallon batch at about 10% ABV. I have not made the blueberry but I did make a 4 gallon batch (only added 3 gallons of water instead of 4) and I used it to blend with another red for a stronger blackbery taste. It worked out very well. If you are making blueberry wine, you may want to add less water for a little greater ABV or add some simple syrup (2:1 ratio of sugar to water, heated to dissolve the sugar) and bring the initial SG up to about 1.090 which would give you a wine at about 12.5% ABV. If you leave it as is, the wine will ABV at 10.7%.

That is what I am leaning too. Making a 4 gallon batch with it and adding 6lbs of blueberries to secondary. Maybe some oak?

Latest posts

Back