can a finshed wine be degassed again

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sampvt

Senior member from Leeds UK.
Reaction score
My first batch of wine was degassed as best as I could manage, given the fact that I am a newbee, but I fear I didn't get enough gas out. The glass gallon demijohns have been aging for 4 weeks now and 2 of the bungs have popped out of the top. I was going to re rack this wine as there is some sediment in the bottom but not much and then bottle or put in new demijohns again.

My question is simple, if I re racked these demijohns into a carboy, can I degass it again just to make sure, or will this ruin the finished wine. it is as clear as a bell, in fact it looks quite polished so that's not an issue.

Everyone makes mistakes and I am no exception and am learning as I go along, probably like most of you have in the past, lol. so be gentle with me.

If there is gas in the wine, you should be able to get it out. IF you happen to have a vacuum pump you could splash rack. I personally do that and use a brake bleeder to degas.

I am sure that you could continue to stir and the gas will dissipate.

How long are you going to age that wine before bottling. It may degas itself.

And I am close to Leeds Alabama, in the U S A. Named after your city I am sure.

If you taste the wine and it is noticeably fizzy or sharp/tart associated with excess co2, then additional degassing can be done to reduce this, but remember that there will be some co2 loss during the bottling process and this helps to protect the wine during bottling. The final co2 content of the wine is an artistic judgment call we all have to make and much depends an the type of wine and personal preference.

one simple test is to take some wine into a test tube sized container. shake the wine with your thumb over the opening . when released if a pop occurs to much gas. guess you could use a small bottle for the test.

My first batch of wine was degassed as best as I could manage, given the fact that I am a newbee, but I fear I didn't get enough gas out. The glass gallon demijohns have been aging for 4 weeks now and 2 of the bungs have popped out of the top. I was going to re rack this wine as there is some sediment in the bottom but not much and then bottle or put in new demijohns again.

My question is simple, if I re racked these demijohns into a carboy, can I degass it again just to make sure, or will this ruin the finished wine. it is as clear as a bell, in fact it looks quite polished so that's not an issue.

Everyone makes mistakes and I am no exception and am learning as I go along, probably like most of you have in the past, lol. so be gentle with me.

Degassing again will not hurt the wine; this can be done by stirring or just leaving it sit in the demijohn for awhile. You're better off addressing it now rather than having corks blow. :)

If you rack to a carboy, try to splash the wine around alot (aka splash rack) and then stir once it's racked. Stir it, then let it sit for some time to finish degassing.

Don't bottle until the gas is addressed. You can do the test mentioned or also taste it - it'll have a fizzy and sharp taste.

If you were using a solid bung and the carboy has a small airspace between the bung and the wine a change in atmospheric pressure ( low pressure to high pressure) can be enough to pop the bung out and there is absolutely nothing wrong with your wine.

Last edited:
Try as I may to degass totally, I've had some of my concoctions exhibit what I felt was a fizz feel after opening. So to live with it I got in the habit of pouring a half glass then shaking the bottle like you'd do a pop bottle a couple of times to get rid of that little fizz feel. Then pour to a decanter and drink from there. The 2-3 days it's in there covered, not sealed, actually enhances the taste (IMHO). Almost exclusively heavy reds @65-70F :b

Latest posts

Back