DangerDave's Dragon Blood Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello Everyone, DB has been clearing now for awhile and looks very clear when looking at it but when you put a flashlight behind it and look very closely I can still see things suspended in the wine? They look kind of like white fluffy things just suspended throughout the wine. Just did a small taste test and it tastes like a dry wine. Is it ok? What's my next step?

Attachments

• IMG_20230930_160245_417~2.jpg
    6.6 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20230930_160403_486~2.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20230930_161027_129~2.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 1
Hello Everyone, DB has been clearing now for awhile and looks very clear when looking at it but when you put a flashlight behind it and look very closely I can still see things suspended in the wine? They look kind of like white fluffy things just suspended throughout the wine. Just did a small taste test and it tastes like a dry wine. Is it ok? What's my next step?
What is the SG? It's likely the fermentation is complete.

How old is the wine? Things take time to settle, and it's very likely your wine is fine.

Your next step is probably the most difficult thing to do in winemaking.

Wait.

Nope, not making a joke. Winemaking is a procrastinator's dream, and many things take time.

What is the SG? It's likely the fermentation is complete.

How old is the wine? Things take time to settle, and it's very likely your wine is fine.

Your next step is probably the most difficult thing to do in winemaking.

Wait.

Nope, not making a joke. Winemaking is a procrastinator's dream, and many things take time.
SG was .990 when DB racked into secondary, degassed, added additives as recommended. It's been 7 days since additives add sparkaloid was added. It's just weird how it's crystal clear except for these white fluffy like stuff suspended everywhere. Could that be pectin? Or is it part of the sparkaloid?

SG was .990 when DB racked into secondary, degassed, added additives as recommended. It's been 7 days since additives add sparkaloid was added. It's just weird how it's crystal clear except for these white fluffy like stuff suspended everywhere. Could that be pectin? Or is it part of the sparkaloid?
Pectin is a possibility. I always add pectic enzyme when making non-grape wines, as it's a low cost preventative. Give it time.

Pectin is a possibility. I always add pectic enzyme when making non-grape wines, as it's a low cost preventative. Give it time.
Pectin enzyme was added at the beginning as per the directions. It just looks so good, until you put a light to it and look close. The wait is hard but guess on this one it will have to be done.

First batch of DB almost done fermenting. SG was 1.094 and used 32oz of lemon juice for a pH of 3.30. 8lb of Berry blend to 5 gallons. After stabilizing I will add another 4lb of berries (macerated in some sugar) and let it sit for 2-4 weeks.
This will be my first time ever adding fresh fruit after fermenting a wine. Excited to see how fruity and yummy it will turn out.

IMG_1738.jpeg

First batch of DB almost done fermenting. SG was 1.094 and used 32oz of lemon juice for a pH of 3.30. 8lb of Berry blend to 5 gallons. After stabilizing I will add another 4lb of berries (macerated in some sugar) and let it sit for 2-4 weeks.
This will be my first time ever adding fresh fruit after fermenting a wine. Excited to see how fruity and yummy it will turn out.

View attachment 109821
Bottled the DB last weekend. It is the most aromatic wine I’ve made. Smells strong of raspberries. Taste is great except a little too sour for me. Next time I will use 24oz of lemon juice instead of 32oz. I’m happy with the final product especially for a wine this young. Also, it cleared very well with sparkolloid.

Latest posts

Back