What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has the fat cap split yet? I usually wrap about an hour after that.

I only checked and opened the lid when the internal meat temp was about 120, still needed some time to go obviously, I'm checking again when it hits 150s to spray some goodies. You gurus do it by eye, I gotta follow the thermostat :)

Hit the easy button tonight and did a grilled smokey meatloaf. Half beef, half ground turkey. Half of the meatloaf has a generous helping of jalapenos since my Son always prefers spicy foods. Some GF bread crumbs mixed in and some rosemary. The topping is ketchup, worchestershire sauce, cumin and a bit of soy sauce, added after about 15 minutes of cooking. Serving with some corn on the cob (I'm assuming from Florida since it said "grown in the USA") and smashed taters w/sour cream added.

5-16-20_meatloaf.jpg

Here are the noodles we had. Recipe for the chicken below - I doubled the sauce and can't imagine doing it without doubling. I realize I'm mixing up my Asian foods, but this worked really well. We devoured a ton of both chicken and noodles. Time for a food coma/nap.

https://www.foodiecrush.com/sesame-soba-noodles/
Crock Pot Cashew Chicken
This is better than most Chinese takeout cashew chicken. Throw it all in the slow cooker and have a delicious, no fuss dinner!

Damn. I want to come over to your house...

The Rick Bayless Ensenada style fish tacos came out great, will definitely be making again, maybe mahi instead of talapia. Cooked everything on the grill, even fried the fish on the side burner. Messy but good!

Mike
Recipe link, please.

Too lazy and this old laptop is a challenge to do things on.

Did teriyaki chicken and pork chops tonight. Went with "Soy Vey" Island Teriyaki, which is your basic teriyaki with some sesame and pineapple added. To that, I added a little orange zest for the marinade. Reserved a little and basted while grilling. Served with the sesame soba noodles I did last week and some steamed broccoli that was tossed with a little black pepper, soy sauce and toasted sesame seeds. Thumbs up from all at the table.

C1CEC4F0-F9BD-4690-8466-06FE8C19689A_1_201_a.jpeg

36DA48E4-5CE8-4152-BE2C-3C01D58C2659.jpeg

Our dinner was very nice, but best described as "The Dregs"!

Nominally, I followed the recipe of Serious Eats's Easy Weeknight One-Pot Salmon Chowder. However, there were many substitutions. But the "Dregs" moniker was because we used up the last of many things we had on hand in making the recipe.

The recipe called for:
1/2 lb bacon -- sure, we have about a 1/3rd lb left, close enough
1 med. onion -- good, we have one onion left, I guess I will call it "medium"
2 ribs celery -- No, but I will throw in some stalks of fennel that I was saving for a friend's rabbit (seriously!)
2 tbsp. flour -- no problem, we have plenty of that.
1 cup Clam juice -- no, but I will substitute 2 cups of some ho-made shrimp stock, I will condense it to 1 cup.
1 qt. whole milk -- good, I have just over 1 qt left!
1 lb Yukon Gold -- good, I have ~2 lbs! Score!
1 bay leaf -- Yes, I have EXACTLY 1 bay leaf left.
3/4 lb salmon -- this was the inspiration for the dish. We have had a filet of smoked salmon from Trader Joe's in the freezer for MANY years. (You may need to take your shoes off to count the years.) We were looking for a way to use this up. Dregs it is!
Minced chives -- Yes! Our chives are growing. Mrs. Sour_Grapes harvested some for us.

Then, as long as we were in the spirit of throwing the dregs into this meal, we added/enjoyed the following dregs:
I added the last two carrots from last fall: peeled off the brown/black parts and diced.
We enjoyed the last crusts of bread from a sourdough loaf I baked.
We smeared the last cloves of some roasted garlic on the bread.
Caviar: Well, we had some left over from Lobsterfest in February, might as well use it up now!
Pinot Noir: I have been holding on to the last bottle of a 2014 WE LE Oregon Pinot Noir for over a year. It is (err, was) my wife's favorite. We decided to dispose of it in the frenzy, too.

It was all very good. The smoked salmon was a bit heavy. (The designer of the recipe had in mind a milder fish.) Still lovely.

IMG_0557.jpg

My pulled pork
Brined it 4:00PM Friday. 5:00 AM Saturday got Fire started in offset smoker Using pin cherry and maple wood.. Then got Pork out. Rinsed, rubbed with yellow mustard and then rubbed on rub. 7:00AM smoker at 275 and put meat in. Maintained temp at 250 - 275 sprayed w/apple juice 3 times till 12:00. At 12:00 temp was 167 - pulled meat off smoker, double wrapped in foil and into 275 degree oven. At 2:45 internal temp 205 pulled from oven and put wrapped in fleece throw blanket into camping cooler for an hour. 4:00 pulled pork. Perfect. Had with bottle of RJS Cru Select Valpola 1 1/2 year old.C16C7A24-F6E4-4098-9C36-CB73C33A3791.jpeg2DD1A473-E31D-42A4-BC63-EAEE008458D6.jpegBA4CA79E-ED34-40D2-919C-76B182FCABAE.jpeg

Did teriyaki chicken and pork chops tonight. Went with "Soy Vey" Island Teriyaki, which is your basic teriyaki with some sesame and pineapple added. To that, I added a little orange zest for the marinade. Reserved a little and basted while grilling. Served with the sesame soba noodles I did last week and some steamed broccoli that was tossed with a little black pepper, soy sauce and toasted sesame seeds. Thumbs up from all at the table.

View attachment 61229

View attachment 61230

can you post the recipe, chicken teriyaki sounds like music to my ears. Is that marinade something you got at the supermarket, really like the pineapple and teriyaki combo.

Got some more chicken marinating for tonight. I love this stuff.

ROADSIDE CHICKEN

1 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup veg oil
1/4 cup worcestershire sauce
1 TBS Sea or Kosher salt
1 TBS white sugar
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp white pepper
1/2 tsp celery salt

Mix/shake till well dissolved. I put mine in a old worcestershire bottle with the shaker top. You can marrinate the chicken in the sauce for up to 2-8 hrs before cooking. If so discard marinade and make fresh for the cooking sauce. I apply the sauce every 5 min to both sides and turn every 5-10 min. Apply one final coating 5 min before removing from the grill. You can't put too much sauce on while grilling. It will build up a nice layer of flavors. I use the kettle but i think it would do well on the WSM (Larry used it) with no water pan and a high heat cook. I usally add one small piece of apple wood while grilling also. Hope you like it. Enjoy

EDIT: If you are going to marinate the chicken first, then leave the oil out for the marinade proccess. Make up a fresh batch for basting the chicken with the oil in the sauce.

No pictures, unless you want pictures of what I couldn't eat. My wife's and my anniversary today. We usually try and go out to a restaurant for dinner, but only take out is available. A friend of ours just bought a small restaurant, so we ordered take out from there. I had chicken cordon bleu, wifey had a full turkey dinner with a sweet potato as one of her sides. Daughter had fried mozzarella sticks and chicken tenders. Only my wife finished her meal (ha ha ha), me and my daughter have enough for lunch tomorrow. Not even sure if I can eat what is leftover in my next meal. The ha ha is because my wife and I are in a friendly competition to see who can lose the most weight. I think I'll have a pound on her tomorrow!

Latest posts

Back