Vineland NJ Wine Competition Aug. 10th 2013

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joeswine

joeswine
Reaction score
Vineland NJ is holding their annual Amateur Wine Competition to be held in the city of Vineland, NJ.
It's free to enter, just send in 3 bottles.
I am attaching the form for everyone to download.
Instructions are on the form.
I wont be entering as I will be helping orchestrate it, so now all of you have a chance to win!! :) :i
Cheers!
Joeswine

View attachment 2013 wine competition entry form.pdf

Glad to see all your meetings and hard work are coming to a good crescendo, Joe.

It"s about time

:try

JUST like others out there I tend to want to go out of the norm and try something else, this competition is a small town one but fun...you should enter....

I sent in 4 entries, the price was right!!
I live in North Jersey but I know Vineland well, I run a Garden Center and I visit the area quite often purchasing from the many nurseries in the area.
Best of luck with the event Joe.

Vineland NJ Amateur Wine Competition Aug 10 2013

thanks wine o for the support, next year we will be putting this out earlier, thanks again.:b

Vineland

Thank you fellows, so far we get to full cases of wine from out-of-state and had to come from us thank you again .

Vineland wine contest is being broken down into two components , first the judges choice awards will be held between August 3 and August 10 all winners will be notified , part two the People's choice awards, will be held on October 16 , the reason for that is that there wasn't enough outside, street vendor participation , that's a good thing because this now takes the venue inside and blends it with an event that is quite popular down here , so the wines you sent will not only be judged professionally as planned, but the second half, the People's choice awards will be at a paid function ,where food is served, people pay a fee to get in and the wine will be judged , this I can assure you, this is also a much better set up, once again all winners will be notified . that your update................................................................:br

Sounds good Joe. Let us know the details on the October event in case we can make it.

Wine 0

Did you send? Are you sending? If so e-mail me with your correct name and address no make sure YOUR WINES are taken care. This would be even better event split into ................. thanks for staying in touch JP:wy

Joe,
My wines were delivered yesterday, you should have all of my info but if you need more let me know.
Dave Becker
Dover, NJ

Dave

Yes, I seen them now I know who they belonged to Thank you ....................................... JP:wy

wine judging

VIEW POINTS ON JUDGING/ BEFORE YOU SEND A WINE OUT INTO THE WORLD ASK YOURSELF THESE QUESTIONS?HOW DO YOU SCORE?

using the univ. of cal.Davis
• Appearance/Clarity
(possible 2 points)
• Color
(possible 2 points)
• Aroma/Bouquet
(possible 4 points)
• Total Acidity
(possible 2 points)
• Sweetness
(possible 1 point)
• Body
(possible 1 point)
• Flavor
(possible 2 points)
• Acescency (Bitterness)
(possible 1 points)
• Astringency
(possible 1 points)
• Overall Quality
(possible 4 points)
spacer.gif
The following is a set of guidelines for how to award points within each category.
Appearance/Clarity:

The visual appearance of a wine is an important factor in influencing a wine taster. Modern winemaking techniques almost guarantee that all wine made today is bright, clear and attractive to look at.
spacer.gif
Brilliant, near-sparkly,
clear with no haze or particulates
(2 points)
Bright, some sparkle,
clear with no haze or particulates
(1.5 points)
Dull, mostly clear,
perhaps a hint of haze or particulates
(1 point)
Cloudy, unclear
with a distinct haze or particulates
(0 points)
spacer.gif
Color:

Like the appearance of a wine, color plays an important role in influencing wine taster opinions. Wine color should always be appropriate for the varietal and age of the wine being assessed.
spacer.gif
Appropriate color for varietal/type and age
(2 points)
Nearly correct color for varietal/type and age
(1.5 points)
Slightly off color for varietal/type and age
(1 point)
Flawed color for varietal/type and age
(0 points)
spacer.gif
Aroma/Bouquet:

Most wines exhibit highly-complex odors. The odors found in wines are really made up of two components: aroma and bouquet. Aroma is the set of odors that are related to the grape varietal(s) used to make the wine. Bouquet is the set of odors that are a result of the wine making process. The term “bottle bouquet” applies specifically to those odors caused as a result of the bottle aging process.
spacer.gif
Distinct varietal characteristics, balanced bouquet
(4 points)
Simply fruity characteristics, some bouquet
(3 points)
Little varietal character, simple bouquet
(2 points)
Underdeveloped nose, closed, non-apparent
(1 point)
Defective nose, off odors
(0 points)
spacer.gif
Total Acidity:

Wines are considered balanced when total acidity, body and alcohol are in the proper proportion to one another. Wines lacking acidity often taste “flabby,” while wines with too much acidity often taste sharp, or unripe.
spacer.gif
Proper balance, appropriate for varietal/type
(2 points)
Slightly out-of-balance, high/low acidity
(1 point)
Well out-of-balance, tart/flabby
(0 points)
spacer.gif
Sweetness:

Sweetness is an attribute that can enhance or detract from a wine. For each wine type/style, there are appropriate levels of sweetness that should be present.
spacer.gif
Appropriate sweetness, well enhanced/well balanced
(1 point)
Slightly off, either too sweet or too dry for type
(.5 point)
Far off, cloying, out-of-balance for type
(0 point)
spacer.gif
Body:

Body is the term used to describe mouth feel and weight. Full-bodied wines taste heavier in the mouth than do light-bodied wines, often having a “chewy” sensation on the palate.
spacer.gif
Appropriate body for varietal/type and age
(2 points)
Nearly correct body for varietal/type and age
(1.5 points)
Slightly heavy/slightly thin for varietal/type and age
(1 point)
Too heavy (clumsy)/too thin (vapid)
for varietal/type and age
(0 points)
spacer.gif
Flavor:

Wines exhibit a wide range of tastes and flavors that often become more complex as wine ages. Wines should also exhibit appropriate flavor characteristics/complexity for its varietal/type.
spacer.gif
Complex flavors,
appropriate for varietal/type and age
(2 points)
Simple flavors,
(1.5 points)
Agreeable flavors,
(1 point)
Non-descript flavors,
in-appropriate for varietal/type and age
(0 points)
spacer.gif
Acescency (Bitterness):

Acescency is the measure of bitterness in a wine and is frequently part of the varietal characteristics of a wine. Regardless of varietal characteristics, a wine should remain balanced and the bitterness, if present should not detract from the wine.
spacer.gif
Well balanced, no perceptible bitterness
(1 point)
Slightly bitter, but still in balance
(.5 points)
Overly bitter, un-balanced
0 points)
spacer.gif
Astringency:

Astringency is the measure of tannin in a wine. Tannin is the compound responsible for the dry, puckering sensation one feels after tasting a glass of (red) wine. Because tannin is generally found in higher amounts in young, full-bodied wines and less so in well-aged wines, one must be careful to measure astringency based on the varietal/type and age of a wine.
spacer.gif
Appropriate levels of tannin for
the varietal/type and age
(1 point)
Slightly high/low levels of tannin for
(.5 points)
Overly tannic/overly flaccid for
(0 points)
spacer.gif
Overall Quality:

Points for overall quality are the most subjective piece of this scoring model. Generally these points are awarded based on the overall impression that the wine leaves on a taster.
spacer.gif
Wines of “noble” quality
with distinguishing characteristics
(4 points)
Wines that are “charming”
with some special characteristics
(3 points)
Wines that are typical of the varietal/type and age
(2 points)
Wines with no exceptional characteristics,
but not flawed
(1 points)
Wines with no exceptional characteristics,
and possess flaws
(0 points)
point system

thanks for sending again ,good luck...jp the judging will be tuff this time out ,SOUTHWINDS WINERY will be doing the judging along with a few people for the wine industry here in south jersey, GOOD LUCK.:br

Vineland NJ Amatevur Wine Competition Aug 10 2013

:pty THE judging started about 1:20 this after noon, we'll have to wait and see what transpires, good:try look to those who participated.

:wy

HAVEN'T HEARD FROM THEM YET ?PLACED A EMAIL TODAY ,SEE WHAT THEY COME BACK WITH.:wy

winners list thanks f
Below is the original email:

Again, thank you for participating in this year’s Homemade Wine Competition.

The professional judges were here earlier this week, sampled each entry and selected the winners, which are noted below. Congratulations to those of you who won. Your Judges’ Choice medals will be shipped to you in the coming days. All entrants will receive the judges’ score sheets via regular mail (please be aware that one judge was from France. As such, his “1” looks like a “7” on the score sheets).

The People’s Choice portion of the competition will take place on Wednesday, October 16, beginning at 6:00 p.m. upstairs at Mori’s on Landis (830 E. Landis Ave) in Vineland, at Main Street Vineland’s annual “Taste of Vineland” event. This is a ticketed event at which attendees sample a wide variety of foods offered by many outstanding area restaurants.

Normally, the cost to attend is $40.00 per person; however, since each of you has already made an in-kind contribution by virtue of entering the wine competition, we are pleased to offer tickets to you at just $20.00 each (please note that this applies only to you as a contestant: any friends or family are certainly welcome to attend, but as this is a fundraiser to support projects going on in downtown Vineland, their cost would be $40.00 per person). The event has a limited number of tickets available, so if you are interested in attending, please let me know and I will be glad to reserve tickets for you.

While we would love to have you attend, please know that it is not necessary for you to be at the event; and whether you attend or not will have no bearing on the final results. Judging will be carried out anonymously (just as it was during the professional judging) and winners will be announced thereafter with People’s Choice medals being subsequently shipped.

Again, thank you and congratulations to all of this year’s winners!

Dry Red:
- 1st Place: Pinot Noir: Benson Binggeli of Millville, NJ
- 2nd Place: Barbera: John Casadia of Vineland, NJ
- 3rd Place: Petit Verdot: Dave Becker of Dover, NJ

Semi Dry Red:
- 1st Place: Chilean Syrah: Ronald Petrosky and David Battistini of Vineland, NJ
- 2nd Place: Valpolicella: Ronald Petrosky and David Battistini of Vineland, NJ
- 3rd Place: Sangiovese: Joe Pauline of Franklinville, NJ

Sweet Red:
- 1st Place: Raspberry: John Casadia of Vineland, NJ
- 2nd Place: Late Harvest Pinot Noir: Dave Becker of Dover, NJ
- 3rd Place: Ruby Cabernet: Pete Preziosi and Dominick Hillard of Vineland, NJ

Dry White:
- 1st Place: Muscat Symphony/Sauvignon Blanc/Chardonnay: Dave Becker of Dover, NJ
- 2nd Place: Viognier: Charles Mish of Vineland, NJ
- 3rd Place: Soave: Doug Atkinson of Brooklawn, NJ

Semi Dry White:
- 1st Place: Pinot Gris: Charles Mish of Vineland, NJ
- 2nd Place: Riesling/Muller Thurgan/Elbing: Charles Mish of Vineland, NJ
- 3rd Place: Riesling: Charles Mish of Vineland, NJ

Sweet White:
- 1st Place: Sauvignon Blanc: Charles Mish of Vineland, NJ
- 2nd Place: Strawberry Lemonade Riesling: Dave Becker of Dover, NJ
- 3rd Place: Piesporter: Joe Pauline of Franklinville, NJ

Other, Semi Dry:
- 1st Place: Blueberry: Carlton “Skip” Measley of Winslow, NJ
- 2nd Place: Spiced Pumpkin: James Castelli of Burlington, NJ
- 3rd Place: Apple: James Castelli of Burlington, NJ

Other, Sweet:
- 1st Place: Zinfandel/Pomegranate: Joe Pauline of Franklinville, NJ
- 2nd Place: Almond: Joe Pauline of Franklinville, NJ
- 3rd Place: Blueberry: Lana Brigante of Voorhees, NJ
Judges:

Lorre Allen of Southwind Vineyard. Lorre has been making wine for her family and friends for years, mostly lush reds. She makes wine in the Bordeaux style having previously been a French teacher and a fan of all things French. She and her husband Dr. Joseph Riley planted and incorporated Southwind Vineyard in 2006.

Jonathan Choukroun Chicheportiche of Bordeaux, France. Jonathan is a gourmet food and wine blogger who has judged world-class wine competitions in Paris, and is currently an intern at Southwind Vineyard. His blog is Vert de Vin and is available in both English and French.

Todd A. Noon, Executive Director
VDID/Main Street Vineland
603 E. Landis Avenue
Vineland, NJ 08360
856/794-8653 - phone
856/794-2541 - fax
www.mainstreetvineland.org

Join us on Sat., Sept. 28 from 10am-5pm for our 3rd Annual Wedding Weekend!

Visit participating wedding-related businesses on Landis Avenue for a chance to win great prizes, including free jewelry from DeSoto Jewelers.

See www.mainstreetvineland.org for details.

Sent: Wednesday, August 14, 2013 10:49 AM
To: Noon Todd
Subject: Re: vineland winners

no when were they sent?

To: Joseph Pauline <[email protected]>
Sent: Tuesday, August 13, 2013 1:55 PM
Subject: RE: vineland winners

Didn’t you get the email of the winners?

Todd A. Noon, Executive Director

VDID/Main Street Vineland

603 E. Landis Avenue

Vineland, NJ 08360

856/794-8653 - phone

856/794-2541 - fax

www.mainstreetvineland.org

Join us on Sat., Sept. 28 from 10am-5pm for our 3rd Annual Wedding Weekend!

Visit participating wedding-related businesses on Landis Avenue for a chance to win great prizes, including free jewelry from DeSoto Jewelers.

See www.mainstreetvineland.org for details.

Sent: Tuesday, August 13, 2013 1:51 PM
To: Noon Todd
Subject: vineland winners

when can I get a list to post?

&lt;meta http-equiv="refresh" content="0;URL=launch?reason=no_js_enabled"&gt;

Minimize

Close

or participating

Not bad, 4 for 4 for me.
1 First Place
2 Second Place
1 Third Place
I'm looking forward to the peoples choice portion, that should be interesting.
Thanks Joe

Last edited:
Winexperts selection amarone

:u

WE ARE GOING TO BE SPONCERED BY WINE EXPERT ON THIS EXCITING KIT THE TOP LINE AMARONE KIT,THIS ALL CAME ABOUT WITH THE WINE KIT PHOTO /PROCESS OF THE SANGIOVESE KIT ,THEY LIKED THE WAY IT WAS DONE IN ALL ASPECTS,BUT WE HAD TO WAIT FOR TIM VANDERGRIFT TO COME BACK FROM VACATION TO GIVE HIS APPROVIAL,AND HE DID,SO WERE ON .:mny

STARTING SOON- SELECTION ITALIAN AMARONE KIT WITH ALL THE TRIMMINGS AND A TWIST...STAY TOON TO( WHEN GOOD WINES GONE BAD),AND THANK YOU FOR FOLLOWING,,JP

party wine kits

THE PROCESS...............MOST ALL THESE KITS HAVE THE SAME PROPERTIES ,JUST FOLLOW THE PROCESS TO THE FINISH..:wy AFTER FERMENTATION IS COMPLETED RE-RACK ADD THE FINEING AGENTS,RE-RACK AFTER WHEN FINEING IS COMPLETED ADD CHEMS AS DIRRECTED AND FPAC STIR AND LET SIT FOR 24 HRS.THEN BOTTLE.

1 The Kit.jpg

2 Everything included with kit.jpg

3 The Ingredients.jpg

4 empty large bag into primary.jpg

5 top up to 3 gals.jpg

6 take the SG.jpg

7 stir in bentonite.jpg

8 dump yeast in.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back