Cellar Craft quality of wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fish

Reaction score
i bottled my wine yesterday and it doesnt taste all that good. i put half it through one of those gravity filters but it was taking too long (literally drop by drop) so i only did about half of it. but it was pretty clear anyway cause i had racked about 5-6 times. i think it is just about drinklable , girlfriend says its not, im wondering how much does the taste change after aging in the bottle or will it stay roughly the same??????
fish,
sydney, oz.

What did you make?
Depending on what you made she is right. In any case I would give it 4 weeks to get over the bottle shock.
Wine will get better with age.

Bottle shock is when you compress air into the bottle when corking and this will change your wines flavor like Tom said for a few days up to a few months depending on the wine. Most wines will change quite a bit after some aging. There have been a few wines that I liked right when I bottled, a few that were decent when bottled and a few I thought about dumping out before botting and out of all thise only 1 is still nasty, the rest are very good to awesome now!

well touching a little more on this subject? What exactly happens during the aging process that makes the wine better... Yes... aging obviously makes wine better... but i ask the age old question..... why?

i bottled my wine yesterday and it doesnt taste all that good. i put half it through one of those gravity filters but it was taking too long (literally drop by drop) so i only did about half of it. but it was pretty clear anyway cause i had racked about 5-6 times. i think it is just about drinklable , girlfriend says its not, im wondering how much does the taste change after aging in the bottle or will it stay roughly the same??????
fish,
sydney, oz.

Fish,

I don't know if this is your first wine kit or not. Also, I don't know what kind of wine it is (red/white/grape variety), or how long it has been aging, but I think if you hang around this forum long enough, you'll see that all of the experienced guys(Tom/Wade/Smurf) here will all tell you the same thing, "Patience". Be patient and give the wine a chance to age. some take longer than others. Some are ready sooner.
I can tell you from experience that the first kit I bottled this year was a Pinot Grigio back in April which I felt tasted kind of watered down. I just opened a bottle about two weeks ago and already the difference was night and day. It was very tasty.
Try and let it bottle age for another couple of months.

:r

Well I am not a kit expert, in fact I never made a kit in my whole life before, but something in the post attracted my attention.

You mentioned you were using a gravity filter and the wine dropped drip by drip during along time.
So I presume the wine dripped out of the gravity filter, dropped the hight of the carboy and plunged into the already filtered wine or bottom of the carboy.

Normally you will attach a hose at the bottom of the gravity filter and put the other end of the hose on the bottom of the receiving vessel.

If you did not do that the wine gets overexposed to oxygen, which may lead to an oxidised wine.

Besides this, I agree with the others, let it age.

Luc

The best wines in the world probably taste like crud the day they go into the bottle. Fish, your concern is a little like saying; "I put my meatloaf into the oven 15 minutes ago and it still doesnt look, smell or taste like meatloaf." IMHO, Give it time to become what it's supposed to be.

Jim

Latest posts

Back